Clam died. But something using right

Kwater

Chill
I hade a baby clam. I noticed he wasant doing shell because y cleaner wrassie felt biting him. So I put nets and everything around him to stop biting my clam. But today I woke up and there was just a shell in the tank. I belive he was eaten. I noticed he was sick though and not doing well. And I do have a berry large anenome hermit crab. Allmost the size of a fist counting the shell. And I was wondering do u thaink that the crab saw him as a sick animal and a meal. Or did he just cold blooded kill him. Or did something else happen. Thanx for the help.

once something like that starts to die, it sends out a signal basically saying eat me! your hermits will pick at it etc.. what are your water perameters?

I'm not shore What my water is like right now. I'm at school nut I tested ph aklinity and calcium 1 day ago. All came out ok. Calcium was just a little high. And ph was just a little low. And aklinity was ok.

I allways keep my salinity in a safe range. I haven't tested it but it can't be high enoughf to hurt anything because I have been toping off

I am not shore of the company but I test my salt with the 20 dallar thing where u put it in the water and than take it out and the arriow points to what you're salt is

Yes I know I should but there like 100 dolats and I'm only 15. The money I have now I am saving for a squid or some type of water movmemt thing. But I test the hydrometer and when there is only fresh water in it it goes to zero. But does that mean that it could still may be inacurate???????

it could be inacurate i use one for a long time and when i got a reffrac they were the same. but that does not mean that they go bad

IMO (although I love hermits) the nem hermit killed your clam, no doubt. I have had those kind two different times and they are very cool, BUT they are NOT reef safe and are very aggressive. They will eat almost anything and a clam would be a sitting duck.

Hmmm I really don't know but I have this one book and and it exadtates everything and even the book said that they are reef safe. But only in large tanks. I have also had other people tell me that they are reef safe. I resurch every animal I buy. And the reason I got a large one is because I am so understalked on fish that I decided to get one. I really like it. But I will say that the clam was sick the night it died. I hate shot that is in my tank that I can't take care of and I will not buy anymore clams until I set my cleaner wrassie free.

Also does anyone know where a cleaner wrassies home inthe wild is. I'm going to set it free in the ocean. He is a suppernatrial cleaner wrassie. Eats no paracites and has been alive for a long time. 8 months. And he is fat. I'm setting him free in the ocean. It should be illagal to take them away from the reefs.

Sorry about all the weird spelling and words my itouch changes the words around. Like it said shot instead of shot

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand about the spelling thing, I have an iphone and it does the same thing! Very frustrating. Okay, question? Is your Crab anemone (the hermit part) dark brownish red and large? Also, why are you getting rid of your wrasse, agin? I missed that. Sounds like he's doing well.

You have to be carefull with cleaner wrasses.Some have been know to eat coral polyps.
Also,it could have been any number of things that killed your clam.Pyramid snails are clam predators.It could have just been sick,something out of whack in your water,theres really no of knowing for sure.
Instead of wasting your money on the squid,get that refractometer instead.Your fish and corals will thank you.

Back