clam lighting

I have the lights that came with the setup, Coralife compact fluorescent, lunar blue moon glow led. Here is a picture.

Fshgnut - I currently am upgrading from a BioCube 29. The Compacts that are built in will not be enough for clams, even low-light ones don't fair well (I added one and ended up returning it because it started to die after a couple weeks).

I upgraded the lighting in my canopy to LED lights (you can find do-it-yourself kits through Ecoxotic) or you can upgrade your hood directly through Oceanic. Oceanic now offers an HQI (with glass top) for the BioCube model - this allows you to have a higher-end/high-output light in the same compact all-in-one form factor.

I would also suggest you modify the back area and convert it into a sump area - this allows you to add about ~3 more gallons of water. You can find kits called 'In-Tank Media' that have converters specifically for the biocube - they even include mini refugiums.

Also, I believe the pic you have their is for the BioCube 14. The BioCube 29 doesn't have a hinge top and has two 10k and two actinic lights - however, same concept.

I upgraded/modified the hood and back of my BioCube and was very thankful for it - ended up being much more manageable.

I did add the cpr sr3 protien skimmer in the rear of my biocube 29 and it seems to be working fine. I saw the new hood and light for the 29 but have not found where to get it or a price.

I did add the cpr sr3 protien skimmer in the rear of my biocube 29 and it seems to be working fine. I saw the new hood and light for the 29 but have not found where to get it or a price.

If you contact nanotuners.com they are a direct reseller of the Oceanic BioCube line - they can order parts independently (such as hoods/lights) and get you pricing, or you can take to them about an LED upgrade depending on the type of power you'll need.

If you contact nanotuners.com they are a direct reseller of the Oceanic BioCube line - they can order parts independently (such as hoods/lights) and get you pricing, or you can take to them about an LED upgrade depending on the type of power you'll need.

1+ Nanotuners.com has some great add-ons for the biocubes BUT putting MH inside the tight-fitting Biocube hood will cause serious heating problems in summer that only an expensive heater can solve. You mail nanotuners your hood and they can fit lighting upgrades into it. It is pricey option.

I got a Sunpod 150 watt plus shipping for under $150 and I have nice maxima clam and its doing fine.

1+ Nanotuners.com has some great add-ons for the biocubes BUT putting MH inside the tight-fitting Biocube hood will cause serious heating problems in summer that only an expensive heater can solve. You mail nanotuners your hood and they can fit lighting upgrades into it. It is pricey option.

I got a Sunpod 150 watt plus shipping for under $150 and I have nice maxima clam and its doing fine.

I would not recommend an in-canopy MH solution - but their LED systems (while pricey) are definitely able to take the cube to the next level, depending on the types of livestock you're wanting to keep.

In addition to mailing in your canopy, they can actually order the items independently from the manufacturer (JBJ, Oceanic, Red Sea). Because of this, I would check to see if they can order the new updated BioCube hoods with the glass tops that have an arched MH lamp. It's /part/ of the canopy, but not /inside/ the hood itself.

This would be both economical, easy and not as impacting to a heat situation, which otherwise could require an expensive chiller - I think that's what you meant, Sen

thanks, it looks like I will wait a little longer to get a clam. With the work they are doing with the leds in six months there may be greater options.

I like them all but the derosa and the maxima are the ones i think have nice color. I have not really looked at any of them to much because the lfs says they require a lot of light.

Here is my former squamosa and my Derasa so you can see the color. Even though the squamosa are not the same colors they are still colorful.

009.jpg

004.jpg

Back