Clam MIA? Bizarre!

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So my new little maxima clam looked awesome but today he is completely MIA! :shock:

I had him right out in the open next to my derasa clam on the sand bed. I know that if he died he could have been eaten but at least a shell would still be there. I can't find any sign of it. I was thinking maybe my pincushion urchin could have carried him away but the clam was half the size of the urchin... pretty big for him I would think.

WTF? :12:

I've seen urchins pick up rubble that was twice their size.So it is possible the urchin has carried your clam away.

i know it has to be somewhere like behind rocks but you can walk 360 around my tank. Can't see every single spot but it's not like i have a rock wall for it to hide behind.

Nom nom nom... I had the BEST clam chowder last night:mrgreen:

Did you check under the sand where you placed him? he might have dug down looking for something to attach to?

Maybe the wife had cravings for seafood? Cravings are pretty strong when you're eating for 2 ;)

Are there any large crevices in your rockwork that he could've ended up and gotten stuck?

Are there any large crevices in your rockwork that he could've ended up and gotten stuck?

Ya, that's where I've been going nuts, trying to look in all the crevices. I was going around the whole tank several times this morning with a flashlight while the lights are out and I still can't find any sign of it. I did see that big gorilla crab again. But even if he pulled in somewhere I would think he could only get so far with it due to overall bulk. It was a pretty small clam, but still.

Ya, i have fish disappear periodically but that makes sense because they get consumed by the cuc. But a clam shell??? It's gotta be somewhere! I need closure!

Back