Clam on its way out?

bjohanson1234

So a little over a month ago, I moved. Only a few miles. I tried to ease the tank move by doing it over a week after everything else had gotten moved into place. The tank was still at the old place and I set up a temp holding tank out of a rubber made container. The liver rock was out of water for about 15 minutes when I did finally get the tank set up in the new place. I didn't notice any spikes in levels or anything. During the move, and subsequent storage in the temp tank, I think some of my corals got too close to each other and I lost half of an acan, most of a brain, and over half of a plate coral. The brain and acan, what remains of the flesh looks good, the plate isn't looking so hot, but there is still flesh on the skeleton. Hoping that it can make a recovery. However, what has me concerned is my clam.

It was attached to a flat piece of ceramic tile that I had buried in the sand. It has looked good since I put it in. However, today, I noticed that it had fallen over. I went stand it back up and under neath it was what a cartilage type substance. So my question is, could this just be the support strands that it abandoned because of the stress of the move? Since i was right after lights on, it hadn't come out completely yet. I know that if the foot got damaged, it will most likely not survive, but how long does it take for a clam to deteriorate if the foot is damaged?

Once I find my camera, I will take some pics.

When my clam's foot was damaged, i could really only tell it was going downhill when the mantel was staying pretty well retracted in the shell, which took about a week to show up. I wouldnt give up hope just yet.

What does the clam do when you wave your hand over it? If you block the light is it still retracting its mantle? I have been told by several clam keepers and the owner of my LFS that if you do this and the clam's mantle does not retract, it is not in good shape

That sucks, Beej. :( In my experience, once they start going downhill, there's no turning back. I've had a lot of clams and have not been able to successfully rehabilitate one once it started looking bad.

I am very sad. I've had it for two or three years.

I'm sorry. It's sad to hear that it didn't survive the clamove. No clamatter how careful you are, there is clamalways a small chance that livestock won't survive such a clamchange. You did the clambest you could and were a good clamdad for clamany years. You didn't do anything intentional to cause its clamdemise. It was not clamurder. Not even clamanslaughter. It was simply the clam's time to be called up to its clamaker.

I'm sorry. It's sad to hear that it didn't survive the clamove. No clamatter how careful you are, there is clamalways a small chance that livestock won't survive such a clamchange. You did the clambest you could and were a good clamdad for clamany years. You didn't do anything intentional to cause its clamdemise. It was not clamurder. Not even clamanslaughter. It was simply the clam's time to be called up to its clamaker.

Must be her meds :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear, though, beej, but I'm still pulling for your clam.

Back