Clamps and such...

MikMcgyver

Vlamingi owner 4 life!
Hey all.... Just a question. When plumbing my system I used a bunch of these plastic clamps..

P1000220.jpg

Down in my overflow I have 4 of these clamps holding the small pieces of flex tubing in place. I can barely get a pair of pliers down there to really clamp down hard on these clamps to make sure they are really tight..

P1000172.jpg

My question is: If these clamp are not secure enough to hold the pressure, what can I use for clamps to secure the lines, and still have access to get a screwdriver or small pliers down to secure them?

Only things I can think of is metal pipe clamps.I know metal in a tank is not suggested for rust reasons. What about stainless steel? Wont rust..

Thanks for your time..

Sorry, I'm not the type of person who can answer these questions :D. I've always had Neal take care of this part of my tank. I'm sure Bobby or Freak or RC can help with this though...

Gonna do a water test run tommorrow, get some stuff flowin, make sure everything is watertight before I stock the tank... Test the pumps and skimmer, see if all is well...

Those plastics for in water and the stainless steel ones out of water.Never use the stainless steel in water,they will still rust.I use the plastic ones out of water also as long as its over a barb fitting.Hand click tight and one more click with pliers is all I do.

Did I help any?

Thx for info on steel clamps, I knew they would rust, wasnt sure about stainless.... My prob is I cant get pliers on the clamps down in my overflow. I put all my power into clamping them as tight as I could by hand. I guess if they dont leak I will be good...

Question on running my leak test...

How should I do it? Fill the sump up and turn on the pumps and let them fly, filling the DT up? not sure where to go from there...

I fill up the DT and sump at its operational level and let it circulate around and check for leaks.

Is that pic of the underside of the tank or inside the sump.That picture is playing tricks on my eyes.

Okay,I see now,all the reflections was trippin' me out.You use vinyl hoses inside the overflow chamber.Thats weird,everyone I seen and myself always use PVC pipe from the bulkhead to the outlets.

What about the drain bulkhead?
Does the water drain to the bottom and down the bulkhead?I think if it is,then its going to sound like a toilet flushing...well not as bad but the gurggling can get on your nerves.I would as the tank company if they have dorsal standpipes.

You can easily make a Durso standpipe yourself. Google it, you'll find DIY plans. I made my own for my tank. Sh!t, if I can do it, you'll have no problem.

Back