Clams and LEDs

Treezer8

Reefing newb
I've heard people say that clams don't do so well under LEDs. I've been thinking about getting a small clam but if what they say is true, then I'm not going to.

What are you guys' thoughts on this? Does anyone currently have a clam under their LEDs?

I have 2 120w led fixtures over my 70gal. Have been growing LPS and SPS very well, and have a RBTA that just keeps growing and looking great.

I have a derasa about the size of a softball doing great. He's way up high but he's partly shaded by my internal coast to coast overflow. I don't know anyone having problems keeping clams under good led systems.

I havent heard that either. But make sure the clam you get is at least 3 in long, the smaller guys need quite a bit of feeding by phytoplankton, more than we can provide for them in our tank.

I just sold a maxima clam a couple weeks back. It was 2 inches long and 2 years later it was 6 inches. Had it about 8 inches right under a 150 watt MH.

Well I would want a small, around 3" one, and it would be on my sandbed about 16inches down, and a total of ~21" from the lights, along with my scoly and acans

Are there ways of telling if a clam needs more light, or signs of stress? Haven't done much research on them yet. Any tips on caring for them or placing them in tanks?

Good water conditions are what they need, they are super sensitive to nitrates. A healthy clam will have a fully extended mantal. I don't know of a way to tell if the need more light.

To me they are a lot like anemones as some like the sand and some like the rock depending on species. Light demanding, excellent water conditions and some like a little more flow than others. They have zooxanthella like nems. It will extend its mantle out a lot more if it needs more light and they can also bleach if something is a miss. They are calcium hogs so however you are sustaining your calcium and alkalinity and magnesium levels now you may have to step it up a little.

Last edited:
My nitrates have been undetectable since I installed my sump, calcium and alkalinity stay constant around 440 and 8dkh. I'll probably do a bit more research but I plan on trying my luck with a clam in about 2 months down the road. I'll let you know if I have more questions, I just wanted to get that main one out of the way

I have never heard or seen a clam bleach out, it's been my experience that they just die if they are stressed. One thing you do need to be careful of, especially when purchasing the clam, is that it's foot hasn't been torn. That is pretty much a death sentence for them

I have never heard or seen a clam bleach out, it's been my experience that they just die if they are stressed. One thing you do need to be careful of, especially when purchasing the clam, is that it's foot hasn't been torn. That is pretty much a death sentence for them

+1

I had a nice clam for well over a year, then I moved and had to take my tank down. Must have injured his foot in the move. He was dead within two months. Just kept receding.

Back