Clams and T5's

Steveg229

Addicted
My wife wants me to get a clam at some point. I have read many differing opinions on lighting requirements and types of clams that may or may not be suitable. Can I keep a clam in my 90 gallon (24" tank height) with 6- HO T5's?

Yeah you should have no issues. I would upgrade to some ATI or Giesmann bulbs of different hues to bring out the color and ensure all the wavelengths are covered

I had a clam for well over a year under 96 watts of t5 in a 29 gallon tank. Then I moved and I believe that I damaged his foot in the move and he died withing a month of moving him. :( I think I need to get a new clam. I loved him.

Thank you for all your responses. Yes, the fixture does have individual reflectors for each bulb. Im glad to hear, as I thought I wasnt going to be able to. Do they need to go up high, or could they still be placed in the sand? What would be the best clam to get? We both like the bright blue Maximas.

Some clams prefer to be placed on rocks, and some need to be placed in the sand. Either way, your lights will be fine. I had crocea clams in mine.

Thank you for all your responses. Yes, the fixture does have individual reflectors for each bulb. Im glad to hear, as I thought I wasnt going to be able to. Do they need to go up high, or could they still be placed in the sand? What would be the best clam to get? We both like the bright blue Maximas.

This depends on the type of clam. Croceas like to be on the rocks, and Derasa and Squamosas like to be on the sand. I think Maximas can be placed on either, but I am not positive on that

Back