Clams --Uggh what a PITA

bkv1997

Reef enthusiast
Ok so my clam has been gapping for a couple days, not getting any worse, but it appears the clam can't close itself...

After looking around on the net a while, decided to lift it from the sand to check for pests.

P1010168.JPG

Any serious suggestions would be appreciated.

After reading the above I don't think i was clear... How do you suggest me getting the astrea out of the clams butt, without killing the clam.

Brandon

:shock: Talk about a blockage!! Do they have enamas for clams? Man that sucks! Have you looked at clams direct - they have a forum there. Some of those guys might be able to help. Which clam is that?

You might want to try to gently rotate the shell the astrea shells tend to be larger one way then they are the other. You should be able to rotate the shell and slide it out. I would do this as gently as possible!!! Let us know what happens

but it is one way to protect its underneath bottom butt. nothing to worry bout its better to protect the foot

Thanks for the opinions, however the only reason I found the snail is because the clam was gapping and is obviously pissed about something. The other two clams I have are doing perfectly fine no problem.

Here is a top down pic.
P1010171.JPG

I researched this a bit and I moved the clam to a bowl in the kitchen and took a razor blade and cut the suction tenticals, not the foot to remove it from the snail. It appears that it attached to a live snail a couple days ago and the snail has been rotting inside the clam.

I plan on giving the clam another 24 hours without the astrea shell and if things don't get better I will do a Fresh Water dip to kill any bacteria infections.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Brandon

Back