Clams. Who's got them?

mng777777

Shark Wrangler Wannabe
Please post here if you:
(a) have or have had clams
(b) how long you kept them alive or have had them
(c) whether you dose(d) Phyto or any other food for them or if you just let them fend for themselves

I've had my Tridacna maxima for like... 5 or 6 months now I think. When I feed my other corals sometimes I shoot phyto at it but I don't think the clam takes it. I've heard rotifers are their favorite food.

I have 3 clams. One I have had for 2+ years and has grown very large. I think it has been supplemented indirectly with coral foods I have put in the water. The other two and much newer. One about 6 months and the other I just got this week.

oh! Oh! I do! I do!

a)Yes!
b)5 days so far!
c)Phyto and directly under my MH, but on the floor right now.

Crappy pic, bad location again. I need to get an acrylic box for some top down shots.
The blue one is really more green than blue.

They are Vanuatu Maxima

802915094_EsHs3-O.jpg

Thanks! I learned something new. I thought they needed Phyto dosing to survive but it seems as though I was wrong. Simply providing good light seems to be sufficient for them. Does anyone know what benefit Phyto provides to either their health or coloration?

Me too, me too!!

Had mine for half a year. No special feeding, but STRONG lights and calcuim supplements. It seems to be doing well, and was easire to keep than I thought. I think it may be taking Ca2+ from my corals though.

btw, nice new clam there d2mini!

I bought Knuckleheads third one, about a week ago. My understanding is they are like most filter feeders and get their nutrients out of the water column. I feed twice a week with phyto feast, and arcti pods, I'm sure that helps mine a bit.

IMG_2010.jpg

I have a crocea for about 2 months. I do so phyto about 2x per week. I'm not really on a strict dosing schedule for it. So far its grown a little bit.

Picture069-1.jpg

once they attach there foot to the rock. your not gonna get them off. most likeley you will tear there foot and in turn mostly would kill em.

Back