Clams

Doc

I don't work for anybody
OK, now that I have ordered my T-5 lighting - WITH individual reflectors I might add (reef, that should make you proud). I am planning my clam. I am not familar with which are the best looking, hardiest, etc. I am already a fan of the crocea (sp?) and I really like the look of the gigas, but I understand that the gigas clam gets SO huge that it would take over my 90. Please weigh in on your clam knowledge.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

crocea-high light, place in rockwork, pretty blues or greens, pretty hardy

maxima-high light, place in rockwork, pretty colors, don't buy unless it's >2", the hardest one to keep, only for experts

squamosa-low light, sand, brown colors, pretty hardy, gets big but grows slower than gigas

gigas-low light, sand, brown colors, pretty hardy, gets HUGE!!

hippopus-can't find where to buy it anywhere

derasa-low light,sand, brown colors, pretty hardy also, I think it's the slowest growing of the sand dwellers.

Hope this helps

my gigas
IMG_0013-1.jpg

croceas
000_02761.jpg

I've got a squammie also-but don't have a good pic of it. I don't have any pics of maximas b/c they all died w/in about two weeks of purchase. I won't buy anymore of those soon.

I have been thinking about a maxima as well, but it seems as they are tough to keep. Maybe I will reconsider.

I wonder how fast gigas grow.does anybody know?They are sure the best looking one in my eyes.I also like the super colored croceas which are so vibrant.

oooo, I like that Derasa. I haven't seen that one before. Will it grow to big for a 90 gallon?

I still like Croceas as well. Biff, I have seen them only on sand beds. My lfs told me that if they are on the rocks, their foot will adhere to the rock and you would kill it if you tried to move it. Has anyone else heard that? I was planning on sand bed for the clams.

Rigo, yes, angels will massacre the clams. I will not have angels in my 90 gallon. Just reef safe fish. That way, I can live two lives, my angels and my reef together and the classic reef set-up.

I do have a few on the build thread, but the majority will come mid-week. I will take some shots of the floor that I am laying, where the 90 will be placed. I will be done Tuesday night and then I will mix new water for the new tank. I will take shots of that as well. I will make the new tank in one day, on Wednesday of this week and take TONS of pics. I will post them daily for a while to see if I can get close to Biff's record of 800 pages of a tank build.

oooo, I like that Derasa. I haven't seen that one before. Will it grow to big for a 90 gallon? NO

I still like Croceas as well. Biff, I have seen them only on sand beds. My lfs told me that if they are on the rocks, their foot will adhere to the rock and you would kill it if you tried to move it. NOT TRUE. YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO MOVE THE CLAMS B/C THEY DO ATTACH, BUT I'VE MOVED MINE AND DIDN'T RESULT IN DEATH] Has anyone else heard that? I was planning on sand bed for the clams. CROCEAS ARE FOUND IN THE WILD GROWING IN THE ROCK WORK

taken from Home Page, they have a nice species sheet over there.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The T. derasa clam usually have a very conspicuous stripped or wavy line mantle pattern consisting of orange, yellow, black blue and white colors. The shell is heavy, but plain, without any significant scutes or ribbing. The incurrent siphon has large tentacles. The byssal opening is fairly narrow. T. derasa can grow rapidly in the reef tank, easily growing from 2" to 5" or 6" in a years time. T. derasa is one of the largest of the giant clams and reaches a maximum length of about 24".[/FONT]

OK, now I am confused. Howz about you two fight it out and let me know what clam I should look to safely add to my tank. Even if Croceas normally are found in the wild on rock work, will it do them harm if they are placed on the sandbed?

Doc, a croceas is my vote

mine has been Very hardy, under PC's even. If i cant kill it no one can.

Newcorals024.jpg

I have had this thing on Rock, sand back and forth a few times, It did attach to a rock but was easily removed, and survived the move well.

I will for sure get a crocea, but I wanted to get two clams and I am not sure which other species to get. Maybe I should get a tiny Gigas and move it up when it outgrows my 90 gallon reef?

Back