clams

grunt

Reefing newb
i'm interested in a clam for my 29 banger and i would like to know if there is a kind of clam that would do well in this tank with 2 small percula clowns, 1 turbo snail, 40 pounds of live rock and 65w of 50 50 compact lighting. with a current good water quality :question:

I doubt your lighting is good enough for clams, but, if you must, I would recommend a deresa 1st, at about 3 to 4". not as colorful as the others but cheaper and will give you a chance to see if you can keep one alive. if you must contain cost you could do a 2" but the smaller ones are harder to deal with. 1st though, I would recommend a good book before jumping in. one that i have and is a very good reference is GIANT CLAMS (A comprehensive guide to the identification and care of tridacnid clams) by: Daniel Knop - ISBN 3-921684-23-4. The book is a bit pricey (about the cost of a clam) but well worth the investment if you want to be successful with clams. good luck.

yeah

well thanx for the imput i'll just keep looking it up to see what's up with that but all i read and hear is metal halide lighting only for these but since i have only a 29 gallon maybe 65w for this size of tank will make up for it.

Well if you dont go live coralife makes some really nice fakes that look pretty real.I had one for awhile that friends thought was real.You can see it here in one of my older tank shots
tank.jpg

Here is a different color of the clam I had in the picture
http://cgi.ebay.com/Coralife-Yellow...ryZ66791QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
clams can be kept under MH or T5. but i doubt it would stand for pc lighting. Your tank should also be fairly mature unless you like wasting money. I want one myself, but Im waiting for my tank to mature alot more first.

I have a couple comments some might agree or disagree, but here goes.

I wont buy another clam that is under 3". I have read plenty that say they are harder and require spot feedings, etc... note of the 4 clams I have owned a 1.5" maxima is the only one I have ever lost.

I kept a purple crocea in a 55 gallon under 110 watts of 10k and 110 watts of 50/50 PC lighting for 220 watts total with an open top... So I won't say it can't be done. I currently have ~800 watts over my 95 corner and have 2 crocea and 1 maxima. I feed DT's every third day at lights out and unplug the skimmer that night.

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/1003/macro_maxima.html This person is keeping maximas in a 29 under 165W of PC.

Another thing to watch for is whelk snails, I havent had this problem, but a good friend of mine after battling with clams for a while finally tracked his problem back to them. Very similar to nessarius, so if you didn't know what you were looking for specifically you might be in trouble.

http://melevsreef.com/id/whats_a_whelk.html

If you haven't ever looked around at www.melevsreef.com you should... it's a nice site.

Hope this helps.
Brandon

I wouldnt follow meleev that close, as that he is another wise man on this. He knows how to keep things alive and well with minimal work. You can see what he does, but I would still wait for the system to mature more before attempting a clam.

yeah

yeah i don't think i stand a chance with that 65w i'll just wait till i move on with some other set up or when my huma kicks the bucket lol since i have 256w pc in my 55

Back