Clean Up Crew? and a few other ???

jrock4411

Reefing newb
Hello Wonderful People....

I run a 50 g tank with 35lb of live rock..... all parameters are solid, livestock is.....

Yellow Tang
Percula Clown
Tomato Clown w/ Anemone
2 Bar Gobies
2 Firefish Gobies
Zebra Damsel
Yellow Tail Damsel (Had 2, one disappeared, the runt)
Marble Shrimp
Coral Banded Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp
Haitian Anemone
Feather dusters (Christmas Tree Worms)
Small Orange Starfish (always on the glass)
Turbo Snail (always on the glass)
15 Hermits, mostly blue legged.
Frogspawn with 5 heads

We had a small pink Anemone that disappeared the day after we put in the frogspawn and the Tomato/Anemone.

I'd like to finish up a solid clean up crew and was specifically looking for something for the sand, of which I have about 3 inches.

Also, any thoughts on what caused the complete and traceless disappearance of the Damsel and the little Anemone.

Thanks! J

Your tank is overstocked, and you have a lot of aggressive fish in there that usually don't get along with each other. The damsel probably got beaten to death by another fish. In a 50 gallon tank, you are unfortunately limited to 5 or 6 fish. If you overstock, the fish will act aggressively and territorial towards each other. I wouldn't be surprised if your fish started disappearing one by one until equilibrium is established.

As for the anemone disappearing, they are pretty sensitive animals, and they will roam around the tank if they're not happy. If it's still alive, it has probably moved to the back of the tank, or to the underside of a rock and squeezed itself in there where you can't see it.

As for your sand, you should get a couple starfish. Either brittle or serpent stars. You should also get about 20 nassarius snails (if they are the small pea-sized ones), or 5 of the large golf ball sized ones. You can get a couple conchs as well. Stay away from the sand sifting stars -- they'll quickly starve to death in your tank.

Cerith snails will help with the sand bed as will Nassarius snails.Queen and fighting Conchs are good too.
On the damsel and anemone disappearing,my guess is the Condylactis anemone.They could have become food.
May have even died back in the rock,in which case the bristle worms would take care of the body pretty quick.

hello, i have a oceanic biocube reef. it is a fresh tank with 15 lbs of live rock. i want to start with my critters. can u help me with what kinds and how many of each. i plan to have a pair of clowns, blue tang, a goby and a shrimp for now. but wont have fish in for a month or so. maybe a fish every couple of weeks to not rush things. can u give me some ideas ? want lots of color for my grandson (infant). i thank you for any help u can give me. THANK YOU

Welcome to the site Wdz.
What size biocube do you have?Thats something we need to know to be able to give you the right information.

Alright:D
For the fish your looking at.Go with the clowns and the goby.Stay away from tangs,a 29 just isnt big enough to support a tang.The shrimp will be fine.Also throw in a brittle star and a serpent star.
Then for snails,You want just enough to keep up with the algae.Trochus,asterias,ceriths,and nassarius should be good.

For a 29 gallon tank, I'd go with one Mexican turbo snail, 10 astraeas, and a dozen nassarius. You can throw in a mix of the others too if the LFS sells them, but those are the most common three. And Yote is right, tangs need at least 75 gallons. In a 29 gallon tank, you are limited to 3 or 4 small fish. Tangs aren't small.

Back