Cleaner shrimp hides

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I got a cleaner shrimp about a week ago and ever since, he has stayed hidden in the same spot. I have a large piece of rock bridging two piles on both sides of the tannk. There is an indentation on the bottom of this rock and the shrimp stays up in it all the time. The only way you can tell he is there is you see his little antennae things waying around. My fish do visit him pretty often so I don't think he is scared or anything, just not sure he should be hiding all the time. I'm not even sure if he is getting food although he has lived in there this long so far, I assume he gets something. Should I coax him out of there or something or just leave him be? Should I try to spot feed him every now and then?

cleaner shrimp are hit or miss. The first one I had would jump on my hand whenever it was in the tank, the second one I added has remained hidden in the rocks really well (and he's tiny). In fact, I thought he had died a while back but last night as I was topping off the tank he peered out from the rocks for a bit before vanishing again

Shrimp are normally very reclusive. I have two cleaners in my 90, and every few weeks I'll see an antenna poke out. I have a fire shrimp in a 3 gallon pico, and she never comes out of her cave.

Sometimes people get shrimp that are active and friendly, but that seems to be more uncommon than the alternative.

Its kind of a shame that they are so reclusive really, everyone that sees my tank seems to be most interested in the shrimp and the starfish, both of which are diffuicult to find in 180+ pounds of rock....

Back