Cleaner Shrimp Part Deux

Bifferwine

I am a girl
So you may remember, I bought two cleaner shrimp about two weeks ago. Then one molted. Things seemed fine for a few days (both were out and active, looking good, cleaning the fish). Then, one morning it appeared as though their legs/antennae had been bitten off (they were really short, like 2 cm long when they were at least 2 to 3 inches long before). Then, poof, the shrimp disappeared and I haven't seen them in a week. Did someone eat them? Here's what I have in my tank:

blue legged and red legged crabs
margarita snails
1 blue damsel
1 yellow tailed blue damsel
1 tomato clown
3 green chromis
1 lawnmower blenny
1 yellow tang
2 red firefish
1 six line wrasse
2 pajama cardinalfish

Where did my shrimp go???? :grumble: Thanks.

check you nitrate levels.

Inverts are very sensitive to higher levels of nitrates. As mentioned above 13 fish in a 55 that would be my first guess.

Test your nitrates and let us know what it reads at.

pH = 8.2
Spec. Grav. = 1.024
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates =10

I have a lot of caulerpa which I think helps with the nitrates. These levels have been steady for quite a long time, with the exception of a small spike about a month ago that lasted for a day. Most of my fish are pretty small though. And I have a (big) protein skimmer, (big) canister filter, and power filter running, along with live rock and a deep sand bed.

Only thing i would suggest then is when you get your next set make sure you drip acclimate them.....

Also with shrimp iodine needs to be present in the water...

Do you dose iodine at all? If not lugols is one that I use.

I add iodine and trace elements (both Kent Marine brand) every week. I'm reluctant to try again, they were pretty expensive... Maybe I'll wait a little while before getting some new ones.

Do you have large temp swings during the day?

A couple times my chiller has blown the fuse only for me to come home to a hotter than normal tank.

What did I loose:
catalina goby
shrimp
snails

Just another thought...Trying to help you eliminate the easy possibilities.
Brandon

I didnt drip acclimate mine, but i did spend about an hour acclimating him. My next set ill be doing drip method myself. Im also reluctant to gt another lol. $30 for a shrimp is still insane.

Temp swings are a possibility since I live in the AZ desert and it got to almost 110 degrees today. When I check in the morning it's always at 78 and, since it started getting hot in the daytime, the highest I've seen it is 80, but I will be home all day this weekend and will be able to check the temp at regular intervals throughout the day, in case this is the problem.

Not having drip acclimated the animals is a possibility too. I took about an hour to acclimate the shrimp, gradually adding spoonfuls of water from my tank, floating the bag, the usual. I suspect acclimation may be the problem because I recently got a brittle star (because it was recommended in response to my detritus post) and acclimated him in the same way that I did the shrimp, and within two days, he only had two legs left! Of course I feel awful (he's still hanging in there, and I'm making sure he gets lots of good food) but this has been a learning experience, and I have realized how much more sensitive inverts are than fish, which I have never had a problem acclimating in the half hour time frame.

By the way, is there anything I can do to help my latest victim (the brittle star) out? I think I'll just stick to fish from here on out... Those don't die on me at least.

Biff:

It sounds like your acclimation should have been fine. Just as another throught where did you get your live rock from? Do you know what a mantis shrimp is? Do you think you could possibly have one?

Do you have lots of snails and hermit crabs any smaller fish? How are they doing?

Just another idea..

Brandon

Hmmm that's a possibility too. I have crabs, most of them are fine (there probably was some initial die off, but I think that I just can't find them all). I have had a lot of snails die. My smallest fish are about one inch long. I have only lost a blue gudgeon goby, about a month ago. I got my live rock from two separate LFSs. I need to turn off the lights and listen for clicking, right? And if I hear one, then there are traps I can buy specifically for them, right?

Thanks!

Well, yes, and it depends.. hehe

There are two different types of mantis. Crushers and Spearers. Crushers are the most common in reef tanks and commonly crush rocks, snail shells etc to get to the food and that is the clicking you are refering to.

So i guess turning the lights off isn't a given, unless it is eating etc. Also that only works for the crusher type. If things slowly keep disappearing and its only the smaller things and all the parameters are right, this might be something to look into... Our local fish store rents traps for like 5$ a week.

Brandon

I had two shrimp that were killed by my high nitrates. i bought another when the levels were lower and it lived but i gave it to the neighbor. Did you see them b4 they died? They react to high nitrates by twitches and constant "primping" of themselves. I watched my first two do it and they basically fell apart, I found pieces everywhere. As mentioned check nitrates, I just wondered if they acted like mine.

Back