Cleaner shrimp

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Okay, this sounds like a stupid question (and I feel stupid since I'm a biologist...) Do cleaner shrimp molt? I recently purchased two cleaner shrimp and this morning when I went to check the tank, there was just an "emptry" shrimp shell sitting on top of a rock. It has the antennae and claws, and legs and everything still attached, it just looks like the insides have been "sucked out".

no something ate your shrimp!
well I had put someting different.Just kidding though it molted.You should see it in couple of day after the new shell hardens up.I thought mine got munched the first time to

I got to ask and please don't take it the wrong way, but are you really a biologist? Seems that you would have learned crustacea molt there exo skeleton in order to allow them to grow somewhere along the road....

If I am not mistaken there are more than one kind of biologist. Marine biologist, environemental biologist, plant biologist, ect ect ect.

jhnrb said:
If I am not mistaken there are more than one kind of biologist. Marine biologist, environemental biologist, plant biologist, ect ect ect.

True but chapter one of any biology book is the animal kingdom hierachy.

Vertebrates - having a backbone.
Fish
Reptiles
Bird
Amphibians
Primates
Marsupials
Mammals
Etc....

Invertibrates -
Protozoa
Annelids
Mollusks
Arthropods
Crustacia - (shrimp, crabs, lobster, etc) --- The major family at question here, that are partly characterized by the fact they have an exo skeleton.
etc

Either way my comments weren't needed to address the question that was asked and I appologize for becoming one of the people that keeps me from posting activly on other forums.

However, I would suggest not mentioning your degree when posting questions like this in the future.

i have a cleaner shrimp too and i put my hand in the tank this morning and my shrimp tried to clean my fingernails i am going to have to put my hand in there more often

Yes, I have a BS in ecology and an MS in conservation biology, and am working on a PhD in soil, water, and environmental science. I knew that shrimp molted but didn't know that their entire "shape" stayed intact, with their antennae, claws, and legs all in one piece. So, no, I am not a marine (or even animal) biologist and I apologize for not knowing everything about every type of living creature in spite of my degrees :mrgreen:

Sometimes the knowledge and skills that one uses in their everyday professional life does not transfer over or apply to keeping exotic animals in artificial environments in their dining rooms :D That's why I come to this forum for help. No hard feelings though, I may be a biologist that doesn't know about shrimp, but at least I have a friendly place to go with my questions where other people seem to know lots about shrimp.

Bifferwine,

I just came across this thread while searching for information on cleaner shrimp. I see it's quite old and I have read some of your more recent posts while browsing the forum. I always get alot of information from your posts, so thanks. Geez, seems like some people were a little harsh. I liked your response though. You are a class act.

Oh geez! Vintage Biff! How embarrassing!!!! :shock: Let's not go digging up any more of these, now... ;)

I was a noob at some point too. Everyone has to start somewhere. I've been on this site for nearly 4 years now, and I learn something new every day. No one knows everything, which is why a forum works so well to spread knowledge -- everyone chipping in the little piece of information that they know can form a cohesive picture.

Yeah, some of those responses were jerky, and anyone that automatically assumes a biologist should know *everything* about plants and animals obviously doesn't know much themselves. I've never had to work with crustaceans in my life. I deal with asbestos and lead and hydrocarbon-contaminated soils, dammit!!

Back