Cleaner Shrimp

fishman

Reefing newb
Can i have more than one cleaner skunk shrimp in a tank ? If I can keep more than one, can i keep 2 cleaners and a shrimp of a different kind ,maybe 2 cleaners and a coral banded shrimp?
Thanks

STENOPUS HISPIDUS banded coral shrimp. Agressive, may attack other shrimps and crustaceans. preys on snails and worms.//

LYSMATA AMBOINSIS pacific scarlet cleaner shrimp (skunk cleaner shrimp) Suitable aquarium animal. may take food from corals, sea anemones, and other slower creatures and may have a deleterious effect on them. This animal will groom parasites and debris from fishes and make for an interesting display of reef behavior. do not add excess iodine as it may cause premature molting and lower life expectancy. it normally lives two to three years in captivity. can be kept in groups.

I agree fire shrimp is nice looking invert.Mine has help cleaned my yellow tang many times.You could also keep a peppermint shrimp with.

lysmata Debellus (scarlet cleaner, blood shrimp) notcturnal, reclusive, often not visible, some may eat only polyps, such as soft corals, zoanthids and small stony corals. ( keep an eye on this one) if well fed you may not have a problem, but, if your corals show damage or something is bothering them keep an eye on the shrimp. prefers dim lighting. not to worry just keep an eye on it. as usual this information is the standard and may not apply to the animal you have or the one you have could change, whos to say. anyway a beautiful shrimp.

I have had 5 blood shrimp and they lived very happily alongside my corals without trying to have them for lunch. They preferred to eat the same food as my fish (mainly brine shrimp or marine mix).
I do agree that they are a very nice looking shrimp and contrary to what was posted previously mine are very outgoing and only hide away when they are ready to shed. I found that they are not aggresive to each other either (unlike my zebra hermit crabs who seem to take great delight in stealing each others shells).

I agree on both mine seems to eat what the fish dont grab as well I drop a algae pellet once in while that it happily grabs.My hermits were stilling shell from snails and each other,but added a verity of empties in the tank.Try ebay they are cheap.i got 20 or so for $4 including shipping.

I have lots of spare shells in the tank of various sizes. I am from the UK and it is impossible to buy shells. I live on the coast so I collect them and boil them before introducing them to the tank. The hermits get quite excited when I put them in and try them all out before they get one that fits!

chris said:
It is the coolest thing when you actually see them change shells.
Sorry to hijack this thread but as we are on the topic of Hermit crab shells what size should you go for I've seen a few suppliers on eBay but they offer different sizes - Do the Hermits like different sizes or just different shapes

hermit crabs

Hi

I have lots of different size empty shells for the hermits. Its hard to say exactly why they choose the ones that they do. As mine try out different ones before finding the right one, I put it down to the fact that the shell is a nice fit.(sort of like a comfortable pair of shoes). As to size, its hard to tell how big the hermit actually is. I have ones that look large but when you see them out of their shells their bodies are actually smaller in proportion to their claws, and vice versa. The number of shells you need depends on how many hermits you have in the tank. I have found that once one changes his shell the others tend to follow suit. Sometimes they take over a recently vacated shell and other times a new one.

I second that.I had little ones take on a shell to big and strugle with climing the rock work then end up on their backs.so it good to have verity of extras.If not you will see your snail population dwindle down.In name of a new and better fitting home

Hi Jacker! :) I never remove any dead snail shells, I clean them out and put them back out. When I go on vacation I always go to those shops that sell all the cheap vacation crap and buy up those shells in the straw baskets. They usually have a variety of shell sizes. Its funny to see your hermit crab running around in one of those real long narrow shells if they happen to pick one up.

Seems like I'll have to get a variety of shell sizes in then ... These Hermits certainly do seem to have alot of personality lol - Looking forward to getting them!

Back