Cleaner Shrimp

jswinberlin

Reefing newb
I just added a cleaner shrimp to my fish only tank and I was wondering what if any supplements I should add for proper molting, etc... The guy at the LFS said calcium, but I'm reading iodine. Also, how much/often should I add it (I have a 45 gal. tank and do 5-10 gallon water changes weekly to biweekly) and what effects will it have on my protein skimmer.

Thanks for any feedback.

+ 1 LF. Water changes should keep levels at an acceptable level. Plus, if you aren't testing for it, you shouldn't be dosing it. So unless you're testing for iodine, don't add it. It's super easy to overdose if you don't even know how much is actually needed, especially since dosing in the first place isn't usually necessary if you are keeping up with your changes.

Mine has molted MANY times in my tank and I never dose anything. You should consider purchasing a good quality salt mix not the cheap stuff.

There are lots of good ones. All of them have elements in a different balance, so they do slightly different things. I like Oceanic.

I used Instant Ocean for years with no issues whatsoever. :D
Only switched to reef crystals for the higher calcium and mag when I went sps dominant...

Back