cleaner shrimps ate my rhodactis

janet

Reefing newb
It sounds like one of our English newspaper headlines... but it's true. I bought a lovely rock covered in beautiful green rhodactis and my two cleaner shrimps ate the rhodactics! That's the most expensive fish food I've ever bought! You gotta laugh!
Janet

I've never known them to eat corals/mushrooms...sorry to hear that. Are you sure it's a cleaner shrimp and not a camel shrimp?

Yes, definately cleaner shrimps. Pacific scarlet cleaner shrimps. I don't know if the rhodactis died, and then they started eating it, but there are around 7 other small rhodactis on the same rock. Just going to watch and wait. Will post again when I know if they are killing them to eat them or if the one died and they ate it.
Janet

That sucks! Shrimp, although considered reef safe, seem to be able to get themselves into trouble sometimes! I think they are unique individuals like any other animals, and sometimes you get a weird one.

My big pepermint will come out and climb on my hand and 'clean' it when I'm reaching in the tank...I think he's cool! I've always read the cleaner shrimp are reef safe and I know a bunch of people who have them and no problems. Not sure why they would do that unless it was dead, like you already said.

My cleaners just wreaked havoc on an acan frag last week, they ate all 8 heads on it. :grumble:

Dang that does suck. I know some people who have had shrimp eat corals that were dead or on their way out, but not healthy ones. That would make me pretty mad.

I now think I've got a hitch hiker coral eating fireworm. I saw it for the first time last night. I think the swhrimps are just cleaning up after the damage it has done to my rhodactis. I need to set a trap and catch it. Any tips?
Janet

I now think I've got a hitch hiker coral eating fireworm. I saw it for the first time last night. I think the swhrimps are just cleaning up after the damage it has done to my rhodactis. I need to set a trap and catch it. Any tips?
Janet

What ever you do DON'T TOUCH IT!!!
If it is a Bearded Fireworm, they have lots of spines that inject some nasty stuff into you! Catch it with a net, if i remember they aint that fast. But if you do accidentally touch it, get some duct tape, put it on where it hit you and pull all the spines out, then pour some vodka over it.

Also how big is it?? They can sometimes become huge. As for catching the little :pooh: i have no idea.

I had a worm I had to get out of my tank. I tried luring it out with a piece of oyster I tried waiting with tweezers right where I would see it coming out. Nothing worked so I finally took the rock out that I knew it was in and left it in my yard for a week.

I got the worm out today. It was a Eunice (bobbit) worm. I am realy relieved I got thst out. I hope it's the only one.
Janet

Back