Cleaning a sand bottom?

It doesnt build up like what one would if left for months. Its very minimal in my system because i do it frequently. If you have not touched it for a while, only do it in sections at a time.

I have never used a vaccuum on the sand, that is what my sump is for after cleaning.

Keep in mind, if you use a sand substrate, it will make a mess on the lr which then would include turkey bastering it off.
Ive seen alot of people leave their sand beds alone, but i just personally like the look of muck build up in the substrate. This is my preferance by far and may not be the only option out there. Good luck

I try leaving mine alone, but my tank was so neglected when we got it that I had to pull out all my LR and vacuum the whole sand bed. I did it in stages though first I vacuumed one quarter than a few days later I did another, than a few days later I did the last. But now I have it under control I only plan on doing small bits with the vacuum.

I am unsure about the goby!
When i had mine, i was hoping it would die because i swear that it would go to the clam and dump all the sand on top of it. They do stir the sand up well, but they make huge messes imho.
They are awesome discussion pieces! :-)

Back