cleaning a tank

dustin_P74

Reef enthusiast
i need to clean a tank that used to house a bearded dragon so that i can use it to hold my new skimmer. what should i use, im doubting that a vinegar solution would work, so any ideas?

Hey dustin, what size is it? The reason I ask is because you can take a large tank outside and spray it with a high powered water hose nozzle...but my guess would be vinegar also.

20 gallon long, spraying it would get it clean on any left over cricket caucuses and all that good stuff but i dont want anything lingering, i want to completely sterilize it

Would a little bleach be o.k., it rinses out well also with cold water. Other than that, vinegar is your best bet.

Dustin use a cap or two of bleach per gallon of water. Rinse it well when your done or use de-bleach. Chlorine disipates rather quickly

I would do the bleach first(1 part bleach, 2 parts water)...rinse...then clean with vinegar...then rinse very well...rinse with cool water, it rinse away chemicals better.

I would do the bleach first(1 part bleach, 2 parts water)...rinse...then clean with vinegar...then rinse very well...rinse with cool water, it rinse away chemicals better.
will do, time to go steal some bleach from the laundry room if we have some

I use bleach to clean a lot of stuff for my reef..... it goes that "extra mile" that vinegar won't touch.......... then use the vinegar to clean out the bleach and then rinse several times.. DO NOT mix bleach and vinegar...... a deadly chlorine vapor will result that will make you very sick.....

Many people hesitate to use a reptile tank as an aquarium. The reason for this is that reptiles produce a lot of ammonia that gets into the tank's sealant. This both damages the seal and results in ammonia leaching into your tank water.

(1) The first thing you should do is fill the tank with water to ensure there has been no damage to the seal. That is, make sure there are not leaks, no matter how small. (2) Once you determine that the seal is still good, clean the tank using some of the methods other members suggested above. (3) After you are done cleaning, fill the tank and test your ammonia levels. If the ammonia levels are not zero, then clean some more and repeat steps 2 and 3.

(1) The first thing you should do is fill the tank with water to ensure there has been no damage to the seal. That is, make sure there are not leaks, no matter how small. (2) Once you determine that the seal is still good, clean the tank using some of the methods other members suggested above. (3) After you are done cleaning, fill the tank and test your ammonia levels. If the ammonia levels are not zero, then clean some more and repeat steps 2 and 3.
way ahead of you

OK...so don't keep us hanging. What skimmer are you getting?
SWC cone? ;)
ATI bubble master 250
006-21.jpg

Back