Cleaning crew?

i agree with biff my one scarlet ate my large cerith snail .that snail cost 10dollars and the crab cost 1

Well I already have some TINY little hermit crabs, at least I think that's what they are. Their legs are blue. Should I get them outta there since I have a few snails already?

Its important to have a variety of snails and crabs. Blue legs and scarlets are least aggressive then others. If you put in some empty shells for your crabs they will be less likely to harm your snails.

Crabs are great scavengers, just pull them out if they get to big. any bigger then a quarter is to big in my opinion.

As long as those blug legged are small you should be fine.Mine have stayed small and are to wimpy to force a snail out of its shell.They are annoying when I feed the corals,crawling and stealing food from them.I rather have no hermits,IMO a variety of different snails are less of a headache than hermits.

also, think about one mexican turbo snail (my favorite) and a serpent star. They are great for cleaning up dead livestock and random bio-garbage in your tank. Plus, they are cool to watch slither around your tank during feeding time.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

also, think about one mexican turbo snail (my favorite) and a serpent star. They are great for cleaning up dead livestock and random bio-garbage in your tank. Plus, they are cool to watch slither around your tank during feeding time.

Do be careful if the serpent star is a green one they will eat small fish. I had purchased a beautiful gold bar maroon clown once and put into my tank, she went into a cave to hide, which was were my serpent star was, it dropped on top of her and she was gone in a second. As long as you don't have small fish (basically the size of its body you will be fine)

I have heard the green ones called brittle stars. those do tend to eat fish. My two serpent stars are both purple. They will eat dead fish (as I have killed many in my day, they have had ample food, but have not found them activily hunting fish for food. But good caution Winy.

Thats what I was thinking. The green brittle stars are sometimes reffered to as the green death because they turn and start eating fish, but I have not heard that about the serpent stars.

My bad, you are correct it is a green brittle star "Green death" (ophiarachna incrassata) this is the one that I was refering too. Most of the other brittles, will be fine.

Back