Cleaning Filter Socks?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Has anyone ever run one of their filter socks through the washing machine? I regularly rinse mine out w/ every water change, but I've noticed it clogs more quickly these days than before (and no other changes to the tank), so I'm thinking it needs a stronger cleaning....

Personally I wouldn't do that, because then all the leftover gunk will be in the washing machine, which is where my clothes will go.

I turn mine inside out, rinse it off good with the garden hose and then run them through the wash machine. I have prolly half a dozen so I wait till I have most of them are dirty so I don't run the washer for just one.

Why do all that when all you really need is good flow and a protein skimmer? :mrgreen:

Every time I thought about running a sock or other mechanical filtration. I started thinking about all the coral food I was removing from the water column.

Why do all that when all you really need is good flow and a protein skimmer? :mrgreen:

Every time I thought about running a sock or other mechanical filtration. I started thinking about all the coral food I was removing from the water column.

The hose I have from my HOB overflow box isn't quite long enough to flow below the water line of my sump, and without the filter sock my office sounds like a waterfall and I get a ton of splashing and salt creep! I know, just go get a longer hose.... some day I will.

Most people run through the washing machine with plain bleach, no detergents.
Let air dry.
Do you run it through an extra rinse cycle or use a dechlorinator afterwards?

Personally I wouldn't do that, because then all the leftover gunk will be in the washing machine, which is where my clothes will go.
I'd obviously rinse the gunk out first! I'm thinking that there is more of a build-up in the mesh that has occurred over time rather than just the typical gunk. The sock is now about 6 months old so it makes sense it would build up over time!

It catches my stupid clownfish every time he goes down the overflow! :grumble: :mrgreen:

when i put mine in the washer i put it on warm water and never use soap with it. i really just wash it out and let it dry in the wash room.

Back