cleaning powerheads

Nimboli12

Reefee
I don't think my powerheads are putting out like they used to or should. They do have coraline algae on the outside of them. When cleaning , should I soak them maybe in a solution of vinegar and hot water ? Im sure thats why Im getting allot of this red slime algae now because Im not getting the flow I need.

What brand/model are you using?
If you can, also check the magnet/impeller assembly. If that component has a lot of gunk it would be slowing down the rotation.
Most powerheads are designed to be disassembled for maintenance of at least the impeller assembly.

For the 550 you just press the side clips to release the front grille.
Then there is a cross bar with the bushing that holds the propeller in place. I have seen different Koralia units have different designs for this piece but I think they just snap out.
Then you can pull out the propeller.

+1 fast soak them I vinegar let them run for a couple of hours and then grab an old toothbrush and take anything that didn't come off. Rinse with some water and your done.

Yes, the Koralias seem to be particularly prone to clogging up when they get stuff growing on them. It's a good idea to take them apart and soak them in vinegar for a few hours. I used a wire brush to clean mine off.

OMG . I haven't really cleaned them good since the tank started last October. I hope they're not damaged. After turning them back on it still didn't seem I had enough flow.
So I put a 1200 on one end and my 550 and 600 on the other end but in opposite directions. It doesn't seem too strong. The fish and corals seem to like it.

Now I have to get rid of this red slime algae in different rock areas of the tank.
Thanks for the help.

Under certain circumstances, powerheads are considered as a firearm. Some powerheads uses the catridge to propel a barbed spear point into the target. They are also available in hard gun, rifles and shotgun catridges but you need to clean them regularly.

Under certain circumstances, powerheads are considered as a firearm. Some powerheads uses the catridge to propel a barbed spear point into the target. They are also available in hard gun, rifles and shotgun catridges but you need to clean them regularly.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :dunno:

She has a hydroponic system lol nuff said xD ahaha jk

Sometimes i find the korillas run in reverse, then you have to unplug them and plug them back in til they work properly. Doesnt happen much, but it cuts the power head down A lot.

Back