Cleaning up a new purchased previously abandoned tank

rrent

Reefing newb
Found/bought a bio cube 29gal. The face/front has a coat of coralline algae I'll need to remove. Plan is to clean it up and start from scratch setting up a nice little reef tank for the home office knowing I will be doing a bigger one in the den at some point.

What do I clean this with? Do I need to clean the cleaner out? Mechanical devices? Brushes, sponges, razor blade (I believe the biocube is acrylic)?

Any other cleanup advice?

Thanks in advance

If starting off from scratch i.e. no rock no fish just a tank that was emptied put everything in the tank white vinegar water fire it up let it run for a couple of days scrape clean repeat process until clean fill with fresh water and let that run and replace every day for a week then start .give you a good week to plan everything out and research.....IMO if you are rejuvenating a existing tank start scraping.....

The biocubes are glass. A razor blade and some white vinegar (with some elbow grease) will do fine. Just take care around any siliconed areas.

+1 Toolman (long time no see, by the way, Toolman :D ) & salt.... Vinegar is the safest and pretty darn effective. If you need an abrasive cleaner, you can add regular table salt to scrub it some more.

Hydrogen Peroxide will eat through algae really well with minimal scrubbing. But if the tank is glass a razor blade will work wonders

Filled it yesterday with tap water plus 1 gallon vinegar, ran it overnight, reached in with a brush this morning the coralline seems to be coming right off (I'll do more after work).
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I've been researching how I'm going to set it up and will certainly be posting more questions.

Kewl beans. I once soaked a used skimmer that was caked with think layers of coralline from top to bottom overnight in vinegar...next day, it all came right off.

Back