Cleanup Crew

Grassman

Reefing newb
Next questions are clean up crew & LR. I have 3 hermit crabs, 6 snails, and an urchin. Not sure what kind of snails they are so here's a pic if it helps. It's behind the Hawkfish. I read from a post in here from Bifferwine about having;

Quote: Originally Posted by Bifferwine
Turbos are good for the glass and rocks. Astraeas are good for the glass. In a 55 gallon tank, I would get no more than four or five turbos, as they get really big really fast, and starve to death easily. For the astraeas, you can get a lot more, I'd start with 20 and if they keep your tank nice and clean, you don't need to buy anymore, but if they're not getting the job done, then you can always buy more.

Nassarius snails are another good one. They live in the sandbed and keep the substrate clean. You could go with another 20 or so of the small ones, or 10 of the big ones of those in a 55.

But what should I have in my sump which is a 35 gallon tank and is laid out in the other picture. Trust me they have lots to eat cause my tank is green and red again after 2 weeks of me cleaning the rock by hand. Should I move my hermits to my refugium and get an emerald crab for my DT?

Also should I have any LR in my refugium?

Last question...how do I lower phosfates (spelt wrong but in a hurry) in my water?

Attached Thumbnails

id say get some extra hermits for your fuge and yes id add some live rock rubble slowly. emeralds are great additions regardless so go for it i say... plus some more snails and hermits obviously..
to lower phosphates you could run GFO [ground ferric oxide] somewhere in your sump/fuge or better yet in a reactor if your willing to spend money. im lookin to get one myself...
i want this one its for carbon and gfo
Dual BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor - English

Back