Clear glass background?

Banana Man

Reefing newb
I'm getting a custom built tank done and want to have no background colour. It's a shallow long tank 1.8m long. I plan on having the tank only a small distance from the wall behind it... Maybe 40-50mm. The wall behind the tank is painted just off White with a small hint of yellow. From other tanks I have seen online like this a really like the look but then everyone else says go for black or blue. Does anyone here have any thoughts on the subject? I like the minamilist look so think the glass glass looks really clean. Also, could it be too bright or distracting for fish with this type of setup?

Thanks!

The colored background just hides the cords and hoses. It also helps hide any water spots or salt creep, the back can be very hard to clean. There has Ben discussion that a translucent back helps keep light inside the tank but there is no real need for it.

Just do it the way you want it. If you don't want a background don't use one. And I agree with Aquarian the background color is just to hide cords and hoses.

dont worry about the color anyway.. once the tank settles in you can have a nice shade of purple on the back.. little kalkwasser in the tank to keep the calcium up and it fills in nicely.. ;)

I like the clear glass look too and I tried it for a while, got sick of looking at my hob skimmer and cords. Soooo glad I painted it. BUT, everyone is different.

I have asked the guys making the tank to hide the cables behind the Weir or edges. I think I'll leave a slightly bigger space behind the tank so I can add a colour background if I want to down the road. Once the tank is in there won't be any way to move it without taking out about half the water!

I'll post some pics of the new setup when I get it up and running in the next week. All this waiting around ain't a whole lot of fun :)

Back