clear slime on rocks

mikesamc

Reefing newb
I noticed i have clear whitish slime looking stuff growing on a few rocks. I poked at it with a stick and it looks sticky. Anyone know what this might be? Good, bad ? No pics, sorry.

not enough information to render an opinion. tell us what type of rock, where it came form, what animals do you have in the system, substrait type abnd depth, temp, current/water movement pumps etc. provide as much as you can and will try and render an opinion. also list any and all additives you have added. thanks for the inquiry, welcome to the site.

It's just your regular live rock. There's not been any additives added. The 15 gallon has been cycled and is about 8 months old. I never added any fish because soon after i started the 15 i knew i was going to go bigger real soon. So all that's in there are 6 snails, a few crabs, and all the regular hitch hikers. There's a sweeping powerhead, penguin mini power filter, heater @ 74*, 50/50 and 10,000k flourescent lites, Prizm skimmer, crushed coral base 1" deep.

0 ammo.
.25 nitrate
1.028 s.g.
near 38 salinity

thanks

could be several things. if you have a cucumber it would be from that, could be a slough/ wax off of a coral, could be an expulsion from a large worm or anemone, if you had a parrot fish could be from that, could be something spilled intot he system, since the system has been up a while and assuming you have recently noticed the stuff, can you tell us what you did to the system the immediate preceeding week to noticing the problem. hope something here helps.

An after thought. you mentioned it is growing. is it trapping any oxygen under it like cynobacteria or slime algae does?.

Last edited:
i don't know what cynobacteria is. It's forming itself around the crevices of the live rock.
I have done nothing different since i noticed this. Water changes every 2 weeks of about 25-30%.
I'll see what i can do about a pic. It'll be a couple days before i can do that though.

I don't have any coral or anemone.
How do i check if its trapping oxygen?

jhnrb said:
An after thought. you mentioned it is growing. is it trapping any oxygen under it like cynobacteria or slime algae does?.
I mean to hijack this post,but since you mentioned it I have noticed this on my rear glass since put in the new HOB refugium.The looks like slime with air bubles in it.Any ideas?

Back