close call

ltljoker

The Great Tang Herder
well I went and picked up the 210 yesterday from Denver. I got it home late lastnight and just unloaded it and went to bed. i got up this morning and my fish in my rock tank were all swimming at the top of the tank gasping for air. I didnt know why, I did a quick water check and everything was normal, so needless to say within a couple of hours some of the fish were on their sides at the bottom of the tank. The wife and I went into rescue mode, We took out the fish we could catch and put them in our reef tank and the ones one that isnt reef safe went into our 25 gallon tank. So we didnt lose a single fish but it was a close call. Any idea why my fish would all the sudde start acting like this. the only new things i added were the rock I bought to put into the 210. But as i said earlier all my paramiters were normal, please any info would be aprreciated :bowdown:

I did that james but all seem normal I have no fish in it at this time so in the morning im going to do a water check and a water change just to be safe

thats one of the things thats weird. the termomiter was reading 88 so the wife tried to cool it off with bags of ice but we were gonna lose them so we went into rescue mode. I dont know if my thermomiter went nuts or what so i have some investigateing to do tommorow

????maybe the additions of the rocks lowered the oxygen level down???? or might have affected the ph a little??? just throwing thoughts out.:D

Well, if the temp rose to 88 very quickly, it could have done it. But if it was a gradual increase, I don't think it would have had such an immediate effect on your fish. Check for stray voltage too. I'm glad to hear everyone is okay -- that was a close call.

No I never found out what was ghoing on or why the oxygen level plummited. I tore the tank down 2 days later to add the water to the 210 i picked up. Now im going thru the cycleing process with it.

The higher the temp the less Oxygen is in the tank. If you have a large amount of fish it could have been the reason. You can aerate the tank by slightly pointing a PH up and causing surface aggitation.

Back