Close loop system help

gridlock

Reefing newb
I was wondering if it is possible to insert a pump in the over flow with a close loop system returning water to the main tank. I'm doing to this to increase water flow without using powerheads. I know most people do this with a dry pump outside the tank. I don't have a dry pump, just a wet one which I would like to make use of. Below is a picture of what I want but with the pump inside the overflow. Any suggestions??

calfo1.jpg

picture was copied from http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2003/short.htm

when you say overflow do you mean sump or overflow?

I don't see an issue with putting the pump in a sump, but don't think i would put it in the overflow.

Brandon

Something is missing in your sketch. anyways if what you are showing is the overflow this will not work unless the pumps output goes back to the tank. A pump on the return line is not advised, a water problem would develope for sure. With the pump on the inside as stated pumping water to the aquarium, you only then need a return that would drain as much water as fast as the supply (gravity is the way to go here). hope this helps, or, did I not understand the question. let us know.

I think I understand what your trying to do, I actually do just what it sounds like you are trying. I have a 120 gallon tank with two megaflow ovewrflows. I have made two extra outputs for each front corner of my tank, not counting the current returns coming from my sump. I took a maxijet 1200 and just set it inside the overflow box, I then plugged them into a redsea wave maker and now I have a closed loop without needing a hole drilled in the back of the tank to feed the pump. as of yet I havent seen any downside to this idea and it has been working great for me, however every overflow is different and you will have to experiment. hope this helps, and if anyone has any input id like to hear it as I havent seen any downside yet.

Can someone explain in more detail what a closed loop is? Is it just a style of the overflow or the output into the main tank?

a closed loop is a way of circulating water without having powerheads in your tank. a hole is drilled in the tank to supply water to a externally mounted pump and then pumped back to the tank with two or three returns. some will drill holes in the back of the tank for returns. some will run the pipe up and over the back, then back into the tank.

Back