Closed Loop

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Hey guys and gals I was just wondering what sort of flow I should be running through a closed loop system? What will be best for stony corals and not be detrimental to softies, fish, and inverts? If the advice could be given in Gallons per hour or turnover rate for a 180 gallon tank it would be appreciated. Also any brands of pump to AVOID would be great. I was looking at Sequence brand pumps I think they are good. Can pump returns be reduced or split into several returns?

If this doesnt belong in this board please move accordingly, wasnt sure if it belonged here or in the Lighting, Filtration and Equiptment board. It kinda fits both.

I'd go a little better than 10 to 20X.I'd shoot for 20X as the bare minimum.40 to 60 would be even better.
As long as the sand is staying on the bottom,you dont have to much flow.

Well actually i agree with Yote if you're not planing on having any powerheads in your tank. I assumed you meant only 1 loop system return.

all the advice sounds good. ryan, I have a blue line pump on my closed loop works really well and really isn't very loud. I think for the time being I will stuck to using blue line pumps on closed loop systems

Back