Cloudy Newly Made Water

wsboyette

Fishy, Fishy, Fishy, Fish
I have encountered a puzzling problem with newly mixed seawater which I had never experienced before. I made the seawater using RO water and a brand-new bag of Reef Crystals mix and put it in an empty, clean tank with sump filtration system in preparation for adding live rock. The water came out cloudy, and has cleared up very little in a week. I had never encountered a water clarity problem such as this. I made the water in the same mixing container that I had used for setups in the past (rinsed out thoroughly prior to use), so I don't think it was the cause of the cloudiness. Has anyone ever seen this problem before, and was there anything (such as adding a conditioner) to be done to alleviate it short of replacing the water ?

Sounds normal...sometimes the water will stay cloudy for a few days. Do you have any sand in the tank...also, any filter pads to catch the particles to help clear the water up?

Nothing in the tank, will add sand & LR in a week or two. I have a 200 micron filter sock on my sump's inlet hose, plus had stuck a submersible canister in the tank to see if it would help. It has been a week and the tank is still rather hazy.

Yeah, just give it time, it'll eventually clear up. Just make sure you have good water movement in the tank, and try wiping the inside of the glass off too.

Back