Cloudy water for newbie.

2wenty2win

Reefing newb
Hello all, seen some good replys to the other folks like me (newbies). I recently purchased a 6 gallon Nano Cube w/lunar lights. I'll start by stating my procedures and welcome any slaps on my hands if I screwed up. I take criticism very well. I rinsed all mechanical part, filters, tank, etc. with clean water and let dry. Next applied my CaribSea premixed crushed coral, and then added commercial grade RO water. I applied all chemicals as follows: Sea Chem buffer, and Instant Ocean. Next I set my aquarium heater to the preset for 78 degrees Farenheit. I primed the pump before turning on. Placed all decorations. This is a fish only tank. I let the tank settle and run for 24 hours. I returned home from work and noticed the water was cloudy. I checked the salinity and it read 1.014. I have a Coral Life Deep Six Hydrometer. I called a local pet store and they advised me to use a bit of buffer. He advised me I had a bacteria blossom it was not a big deal. Als o the hydrometer is not a very accurate reading one either. I also noticed the temperature was at 86. I take it the temp caused a rise in the bacteria. Did I do anything wrong? The local pet shop also advised me to not use the Sea Chem Safe since I am using RO water. Please help. :frustrat:

Welcome to the forum. ok lets see if we can get you on track. follow are the procedures for starting up your system.

1. have a container (food grade) where you will add enough water to fill your tank. (ro water).

2. you did not say the type of salt you used ( i assume its not kent marine) so secure one jar of kent marine OSMO PREP and follow instructions to add to the ro water to reconstitue it to receive the salt mix. make sure you are mixing the container with a pump vigourously and also aireate it.

3. once number 2 is completed and throughly mixed add a heater and bring temperature up to at least 78 degrees F.

4. Add sea salt mix and mix throughly to a salinity of 1.025. (make sure you know how to adjust your hydrometer to complensate for temp. if needed).

5. once all is done and mixed for at least 24 hrs (item 4) add to the system and start pumps and heaters etc. let run for at least 24 hours and then test water parameters.

* your salinity is too low. (FO 1.023 - 1.025)
* you possibly have parcipitated out calcium or other
* temperature too high. (FO 77 - 82 F)
*item 2 above is not needed with a fish only.

TIP- BUFFERS ARE NOT NEEDED AT THIS TIME/ DO NOT ADD BUFFERS. PROPER MIXING OF SALT AND WATER CHANGES ARE ALL THAT IS NEEDED FOR FISH ONLY. THIS IS VERY SIMPLIFIED BUT TO ASSIST YOU INTO GETTING ON THE RIGHT TRACK. HELPFUL ARTICLES GO INTO THE PROCESS IN MUCH MORE DETAIL.

Recommend you empty system and start over as noted above. also go to the helpful article section and you will find step by step information on how to proceed. good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Cloudy water for newbie

Yes I used Instant Ocean Salt mix. THe crushed coral I used was already pre-rinsed and ready to go. the mixture consist of salt water and all of the proper nutrients. I finally got the ph correct and the salinity as well. I was using a Deep Six Hydrometer, thus giving me a false reading. I exchanged it for an Instant Ocean Hydrometer. The reading was good and also the meter was a lot better since the other had a stiff indicator. My alkalinty tested with in safe range as well. Here are the readings as of 2 hours ago from this post: PH 8.2 and Alkalinity measure in it's Normal green area as displayed on my alkalinity chart. I am using a Red Sea Marine lab kit to test my water. I thank all who have replied to my post for your prompt reply and excellent advice. Thanks jhnrb and mike. Now I will test the water periodically throughout the week and perhaps on Friday I will stock my aquarium with one fish. :sfish:

Thanks,

2wenty2win :helm2:

Cloudy water for newbie

Ooops,I forgot to mention I did get some help as well from the local pet shop. I was advised to use one rounded teaspoon of marine buffer to clear the water and raise the ph since it was a low 7.6 it did raise it and clear the water. now my aquarium sits at a perfect 78 degrees and it is crystal clear with the readings I gave in my previous post. Does this sound good?

Thanks,

2wenty2win

I'm still concerned that you have to use a buffer without a bio load yet. well just keep an eye on it. check out the helpful articles and you will find a lot of stuff there addressing water parameters that will deffinitly help you. good luck and keep us posted.

Back