Clown Advice Please

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok so I will be getting a pair either this weekend(yes 3 weeks little_fish) or net weekend.

My Nitrates are a bit lower than 2 weeks ago but it hasn't gone from 20 to 10 yet but the Waste Away has been a big help and I think it has taken a bite of any algae that would grow.

So my things is I don't know what kind to look for. I have seen so many at the store, Tomatoes, some black and white and this tiny one with yellow in the white area that they wanted $50 for. No thanks, I just want the classic type.

I have the 2 damsels who are always chasing each other. No biting and it is funny to see. Even the Coral Beauty Angel has chased the small Damsel(blue w/yellow tail).

They just hang out and do quick little chases. I don't think they get stressed out because it goes back and forth and then they hang out. They were just today rubbing against the Snowflake Eel and he just looked at them. I fed him anyway though. I figure the more full he is the better.

So putting the clowns in with these fish and which kind?

Common LF what do you have to say. I will just use LF for Little_Fish. Sorry it is just easier.

I know my pals will show up like Erin to chime in sooner or later and I welcome it.

I have to buy fish that are at least 2 inches so the Snowflake does have an expensive dinner. The small damsel is small but he doesn't chase it.He eat squid almost as big as it though. I kind of measure what he can eat by the size of the squid.

If you are looking for a "classic" type clown, you are wanting ocellaris or percula clowns. If you want something bigger and tougher than can stand up to the eel and damsels, look into the tomato or maroon clowns. For looks, I prefer skunk clowns. I think they are just awesome looking.

Here's my mated pair of Australian black clowns. They're cool. And I love their accents. :mrgreen:

1167193761_2Lek6-L.jpg

If you want classic then probably the best thing is an occelaris clown. I don't know about keeping a snowflake eel with damsels and a clown. Erin will tell you all about her snowflake... I do agree that the occelaris might get harassed, but maroons can be very aggressive and you won't be able to keep any other clowns with it unless they're a pair.

+1 Everyone

I would look around and try and get a couple that are already a pair because they should be bigger and therefore less likey to temp the eel as a snack.

I would also add both of them at the same time. If you can find both at the same time, try and get the lfs to hold them until you have the pair.

+1 Everyone! (I get to say it again, because I agree with little_fish, too!) :D

I think you should stick with the more aggressive ones. Maroons and tomatoes!

Yeah that was my plan to get a pair. I didn't want to buy local. Their water is always dirty looking.

I know clean water doesn't mean no problems but the local places are not clean. A few tanks are.

The places near Tampa, in Tampa or in Clearwater(Florida) have all sparkling tanks. I just found a new place(new to me) that has been around for 25 years. Rave reviews and are supposed to have a huge clean store with tons of fish and corals.

I am going there this weekend but I am not 100% sure I will buy. I may wait till next week, especially if they don't have exactly what I want.

I will say this though. The coral I purchased in the last 2 weeks all look bigger. Besides the Bubble Coral(2) they all look to have grown slightly.

My Blue Mushroom is at least 2 times as big but the green is only somewhat bigger.

The Ricordea looks much more away and larger. My Torch when i got it had only real small arms and now it not only looks larger the arms are probably 5 times as long. I don't know why that is.

My Zoanthus are on the move. There looks to be at least 30% more of them.

The Brain coral has been chowing down squid. It ate a really big strip and I was shocked it ate it all. What a hog. It was probably 2 inches long(1/4 inch wide) but that is not small since it is maybe close to 4inches across if that. I want to put it in the substrate but I want to wait a little while longer for it to grown some more. It is in between 2 rocks all nestled in. It needs a blanket.

While my Nitrates are still not at 0(10-15), I have been using Fuel for them. I heard it was really good for coral growth and I have to say either they are growing quick on their own or it works decent. It may be luck so don't take my work for it.

I will post this info in the coral section to catch other coral people.

Anyway back to the fish. If I get them I will take pix but they have to be big enough and the right ones and a pair of course. If I have to I will get rid of the Damsels even though they are cool and I love the yellow fin.

The LPS corals, and the mushrooms/ric can change how much water is in their tissues, hence why it looks like they have grown so much.

Well that Blue Mushroom is really huge so I don't know if it is all water. It was like a dime and now is bigger than a quarter. Maybe almost 2 quarters. It spent over a week behind a rock with hardly any light because I couldn't find it.

What about the others though. Even the Brain appears ever so slightly bigger.

They are mostly bigger because of more water in the flesh, they might have grown a bit, but not as much as you think.

But its good that they are inflated like that, it means they are healthy.

Ok I think I may just buy one Clown Fish.

The wild ones are bigger but it is 50/50 it will be cool with another wild Clown but the tank raised are all small in the stores. I have called many around here to Tampa and they are all like 1-1.5 inches and they aren't mated just tank raised.

I could always just settle for one even though everyone else wants 2.

A mated pair of clown fish sell for hundreds of dollars depending on the type. You just want to look for an older pair that way they are larger and decrease the chances of them becoming eel food.

You dont need a pair, like you have pointed out, you just want to get the largest one you can find.

I just got one small black and white one and I really like him a lot. Him and my midas blenny are BFFs he hasnt nipped or been mean at all but I only have peaceful fish. I hear damsels are mean so I have avoided them.

Wait so getting a small and large is better than two small.

The places tell me the tank raised are small compared to the wild but that if I get a wild I can't put the tank raised with it.

The store said it is 50/50 they will pair.

I dont care who pairs with who I just wanted two.

Wait so getting a small and large is better than two small.

The places tell me the tank raised are small compared to the wild but that if I get a wild I can't put the tank raised with it.

The store said it is 50/50 they will pair.

I dont care who pairs with who I just wanted two.

50/50 for two smalls?

Back