Clown almost dead!!!!!

felixfish

newbie reefer
I've had my pair of clowns for 8 months now they've been fine. I switched them from my 55 fowlr to my 20g reef. I typically top off every morning cause the tanks at work. I didn't top off on Sunday and today the fish have white spots, their fins are white and one is swimming lathargicly and laying on the sand bed. Is this because the salinity was too high? Should I switch him back to my tank before he dies?
Please help.
Thanks

It was an established tank of 1.5 years and to tell you the truth I haven't tested anything but the salinity. They had the white spots on them after the move, then they went away. Then after this weekend they are back with a vengeance. I am takin my nitrate and phos kit back with me at lunch to test it.

Just anthelia coral when we bought it. Now there is zoas, and hammers. There was a coral beauty, but I removed her and put him in my 55 @ home. He's definitely not doing well now. Stinks.

Hmmm, I am just wondering about amm, if the tank was just sitting there without fish waste...perhaps adding the fish caused a spike or cycle. You know what I mean? I'm sorry, that does stink. I'd try testing for ammonia and nitrites and see if there was a spike.

Ok. Yes I did have a small algae bloom and cyano outbreak after disturbing the sand bed. I do 3 gal WC every week and things have stabilized. Good Coraline growth and everything. I'm gonna bring my test kits here now and check it out. Thanks for everyones help.

I bought them from a guy off CL with a bunch of live rock. He said they were 8 years old and were bullies in my 55 @ home, so I moved them to the office tank. Hope his buddy (bigger of the 2) makes it.

So came into the office this morning and the other clown had died. WTF!? Will I have to worry about adding fish to this 20 G tank with getting ich, or is it fish by fish related.

Honestly you probably should have tanks and be moving fish around if you dont even have a test kit at all. Testing the water before and after adding fish is extremely important. Most of the time testing the water will answer the questions to whatever issues you are having.

Back