clown babies!

My clowns are a mated pair now! They have little orange colored eggs laid on a near by rock that they are protecting. Is there any way i can help hatch/protect their eggs or do they just tend to die off?

After 8 or 9 days, you will see little eyes form on the eggs. That night, turn all the lights off in the tank, and in the room. Wait a few hours (can sometimes take several hours). Then go to the tank with a flash light and shine it into the tank. All the little fry that hatched will head up too the light. Use a siphon and move them into a new tank. Then, comes the hard part of raising the fry. If you want to avoid doing all that work for moving the eggs, wait till you see the eyes form and just move the whole rock to a new tank. Use a air stone in the tank for water movement and aeration. For the first while you need a steady supply of Rotifers for them to feed on and then you have to constantly hatch baby brine shrimp to feed them. After 2 days, the brine shrimp lose their nutritional value and will cause malnourishment. For the Rotifers, use a bucket to breed them, and for the brine shrimp, a 2 L bottle will do just fine. Congrats! And good luck! Chances are you may be able to keep 5-10% of the fry alive on your first try if you get everything you need together quickly. That's a lot of store credit if you get proficient at it!! :)

Just in case I forgot anything, you can use this to help out Breed Clownfish | Saltwater Fish Breeding

I seen in there today that they have more eggs, but this time they look more green. I dont know, i did alot of research and i really dont think i will commit to raising frey. My clown attacks me when i feed the tank, i cant imagine what he'll do if i go near the eggs

Your right, It's a lot of work to rise baby clownfish. Phytoplankton, Rotifers and Brine Shrimp ....oh my! The food in which you feed your mating pair has a lot to with overall egg production and health. Getting them to breed is only the first step and a small one at that. Enjoy! :Cheers:

Back