Clown Behavior

kmckienz

Reefing newb
I got a pair of clowns last week. They are doing well, eating well, made friends with my Tang etc.

My question is, do they ever sleep or take a break from swimming? Because mine either only do it when the lights are completely out or they are just not stopping. I would think they would have to give it a rest at some point.

My tang is pretty much ready to tuck herself into bed (aka LR hole) once I turn on the lunar lights. My Mandarin Goby also finds a "spot" for the night. I turn off the lunars before I go to bed and the clowns are still swimming.:^:

Please advise.

yah it takes them a while to get comfortable mine actually like sleeping on my algae magnet. or theyll pass out in the bottom of the tank on the sand.
give them time theyll sleep.

They sleep, its probably while your sleeping. Clowns are not nocturnal and are naturally afraid of the dark (due to predators). I bet if you woke up at 4 or 5 in the morning that you would find them asleep. Try that and see.

once the lights go out mine slow down and ususally pick a spot and stay there for a bit. If I go check back on them in an hour they are probably in another spot, but are almost in a holding pattern.

My lil clowns will tuck theirselves into thier anemone about 30 minutes before the actinices go out.
Come to think of it,all my fish are in the holes anywhere from 30 to 15 minutes before the lights are out.Except for my copperband.He picks the pods of the rocks all night long.

Yeah your clowns are acting "normal" by clown standards. I thought mine were dieing when they were floating in a corner vertically just wiggling around slowly. That is their way of sleeping with out an anemone. From what I understand they sleep with most of their brain shut down but they can still sense danger if they see it.

Back