clown eye pop

andersoned14

Reefing newb
My clown has been fine since he had ich almost 9 months ago and when I went to bed last night everything was normal. Today when I got home from work one eye has "popped" out(the eye is still there just sticking way out). I put him in the QT and was wondering what to do next? What I read is confusing some say just leave it some med...what do you think? I put food in the tank 2 hrs before I moved him and it ate and I will feed him tomorrow after he settles in for a bit in the QT. Advice please

I personally would have left him in the DT, when moving him there's always the possibility of stressing him out more. Most likely his eye got scratched on a rock or something. If he's eating then there's a good chance he would have recovered without any actions on your part.

Thanks BL1, after reading a few post I was thinking the same thing. I guess after the ich outbreak I got nervous and thought I should move him ASAP. But now that it is in QT would you leave it until it is better just feed no meds?

I've tried meds in the past but they've never worked for me. If you're going to keep them in QT make sure he has a place to go and hide.

Most of the time, popeye results from a physical injury -- the fish bumping on a rock, or a net scratching its eye. In that case, it will just take time for the condition to go away, and no meds are needed. Sometimes, popeye will result from poor water quality, but if your water is good, that's probably not the cause of your fish's popeye.

Complications can arise when the fish is unable to see its food and starves to death. Sometimes the fish will lose its eye, but be perfectly fine with one eye. One of my pajama cardinals lost an eye to popeye about 5 years ago. He eats fine and gets by fine, he just swims in circles all the time. :lol:

Its not and infection of any kind. Popeye occurs in both eyes, not just one. I agree with Sarah, he ran into something and caught his eye. Should heal on its own, no need for QT or overly special care.

Back