clown fish question

greg1186

Reefing newb
i got a clown today.. drip acclimated him for about 50 minutes... put him in the tank and he seems quite happy. exploring everywhere. hes been in there for about 5 hours now so i decided to see if hes hungry.. i gave a little squirt of reef nutrition arctipods and he was going after them inhaling them but spitting them back out.. does that mean he doesnt like them or what?

They may just be too big for him to get down in one bite. I think all fish do it, (I have a theory)...(I have alot of theories)..

I think the fish can very quickly decipher if the piece of shrimp or whatever has enough meat on it to make it worthwhile to chew up..If it doesn't they spit it back out, and move to something with more meat.

Here's why I think that. When I put in Mysis, sometimes a shrimp will get bit in half(leaving only the tail), another fish will quickly grab it and spit it back out. However, when the food is almost gone, they'll go back and get the "not so meaty" pieces.

This could also be the derranged ramblings of a lunatic.

They may just be too big for him to get down in one bite. I think all fish do it, (I have a theory)...(I have alot of theories)..

I think the fish can very quickly decipher if the piece of shrimp or whatever has enough meat on it to make it worthwhile to chew up..If it doesn't they spit it back out, and move to something with more meat.

Here's why I think that. When I put in Mysis, sometimes a shrimp will get bit in half(leaving only the tail), another fish will quickly grab it and spit it back out. However, when the food is almost gone, they'll go back and get the "not so meaty" pieces.

This could also be the derranged ramblings of a lunatic.

oh no that sounds very realistic

i got a clown today.. drip acclimated him for about 50 minutes... put him in the tank and he seems quite happy. exploring everywhere. hes been in there for about 5 hours now so i decided to see if hes hungry.. i gave a little squirt of reef nutrition arctipods and he was going after them inhaling them but spitting them back out.. does that mean he doesnt like them or what?

mine are a bit funny like that too, if I throw a chunk of oyster or prawn in there it could be the size of the fish and they will horde it like piggies

Yeah they will down food thats just the right size. My sixline will rub food against a rock if its too big. Smart guy.

I miss my clowns! T_T

I use a combination of frozen rod's food original formula, freeze dried cyclopeeze and PE frozen mysis shrimp dosed with selcon to enhance nutritional value..

whenever I have oysters (often!) the tanks get it too, by all means add it to your mix, chuck it right in the blender

if an anemone shrinks at night when the lights are off and only led lights are on and a clown still is rustling in the anemone a lot... will this damage the anemone or no?

if an anemone shrinks at night when the lights are off and only led lights are on and a clown still is rustling in the anemone a lot... will this damage the anemone or no?

I had a bubble tip my maroons hosted in... every night it shrunk (and every time it pooped) the clowns were still in there rubbing around on it. I was always worried, too, but the nem would open back up every morning so I don't think they hurt it.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Back