Clown fish showing signs of laying eggs ?

When i got my clowns they were about 1 1/2" long. They always hung out up top like that and a few months later I watched one twitching next to the other like it was having a seziure. I believe that was the female to be displaying dominance. Clowns are born male and the dominant one changes into a female as it matures. Over the next year the aggression came and went. The bully got larger, faster than the other and it became clear who the female was going to be. Once they settled down, they hosted a big red shroom but never laid any eggs.
If yours are small, I would bet they are just trying to figure out who's who.

Chances are, no, they aren't laying eggs yet. They need to feel completely safe in the tank before they will breed. Also, they aren't near breeder size yet. But, from what I've read, tank raised clowns will easily host just about anything (Flower Pots, PVC, to a BTA). Wild ones will feel much more comfortable in a nem. Also, I've read that the temp needs to be a little higher (Can't remember where I read it, and I could possibly be wrong!) for them to start breeding. Also, something about lighting, just can't remember! Look it up online, theres tons of facts on clown breeding. If, by some bizarre chance they are actually breeding..... well, you've no idea how difficult it actually is to raise the fry. Do research on it, and you'll see what I mean. Constant supply of Rotifers/Baby Brine shrimp (0-2 days old).

Back