Clown for acclimation ?

Clowns are from the Damsel family. Are you trying to cycle a new tank? If so, use a piece of table shrimp, or some fish food to start it. The chemical imbalance in a cycling tank may well kill your fish, and is really kind of cruel.

Oh krill. So you think this fish will be savy. I got a refugium set up and running for like a week know and was told clowns are hardy enough to climate a new tank .

wait you have a fuge setup, and you havent started the cycle yet
and he is talking about shrimp that you buy from the grocery, probably frozen mabey fresh dosent matter
fish food does work but its gotta rot
i say throw a damsel in the fuge and a clown in the main and you should be just fine

Last edited:
its not much but if its a really nice maroon you may want too hold off on it and just get an extra damsel or something

Oh krill. So you think this fish will be savy. I got a refugium set up and running for like a week know and was told clowns are hardy enough to climate a new tank .

Krill? No! A shrimp, like the kind in a shrimp cocktail, like the shrimp you would eat at "Ports O Call" in San Pedro.

wait you have a fuge setup, and you havent started the cycle yet
and he is talking about shrimp that you buy from the grocery, probably frozen mabey fresh dosent matter
fish food does work but its gotta rot
i say throw a damsel in the fuge and a clown in the main and you should be just fine

Carter, if you knew what a fish actually went through trying to survive in a tank that is cycling I don't think you'd recommend it.

On Living Reefs we don't ever recommend cycling a tank with fish.

Carter, that's a terrible idea. First of all, it'd be a pain in the ass to get that Damsel out of the refugium and you'd be adding two fish, which means twice the ammonia int he tank, when no bacteria has been grown to take care of that ammonia.

Lac - it's tempting to start your tank right off with a fish, but it's not really the best practice. Do you have a test kit? Throw a piece of shrimp in there, and keep testing until you see the ammonia spike as it rots, then the ammonia drop to near 0.
At that point, you can add a fish safely. Remember, each fish you add causes that ammonia spike as the bacteria levels equalize, so adding too many (total) or too many too fast will cause that.
For a new tank, I would add more than 1 small fish every two weeks, or 1 larger fish every 3-4 weeks...

+1 chute.

Cycling your tank with fish is how it USED to be done. Make sure that the shrimp is a raw shrimp without any flavorings added. If you buy more than one, as in a one pound bag, you can have a nice dinner that night too :mrgreen:

I would not cycle a tank with a fish. Use a piece of people-food shrimp like others have said.

If you add a maroon clown, I think you will regret it, especially if it's the first fish in your tank. They are by far, the most aggressive type of clown kept in this hobby. If you must have one, add it as your last fish.

OK everyone i think i need to explain how i cycle
i start with cured and ready live rock as well as a few gallons of water from an already well established tank, of my own or a friends to begin the cycle and when the nite's level out i add one fish i dont just throw a fish into an uncycled tank thats cruel. and i dont do the whole shrimp thing, just never have. i was speaking on the assumeption that his tank has already been to the point where his nit's are balanceing out and all that, i never did ask.

As long as your tank is through the main part of it's cycle with nitrates coming down, you will *probably* be ok with the clown. They are pretty hardy. Good on you for not cycling from the beginning with a fish. I hate people that do that. Grrrrrrrr......

Back