Clown Help?

Lizardlicks

Reefing newb
Okay.

I really. Really. Really like some of the more unique color morphs of percula clowns. The heavier the black banding, the better (but not totally black, I want that vibrant orange to pop out at me!) Some of those labeled as picassos are so perfect and wow.

But holy heck are some of these babies expensive and I'm not sure what the names they're marketed with mean! If I spring for $200+ dollars for a mated pair I want to know what I'm getting and that I'm not getting ripped off or something for a fish that's not as "rare" or "valuable" as the seller claiming it is. So does any body have some information they can pass along or have a link for a helpful guide to color morphs and what they're called?

Thanks!

Unless you want to try and raise the baby clowns (which is very hard) there is no need to buy a mated pair. Just buy a couple of the little babies, which are usually much cheaper, and they should pair up.

Breeding my fish is probably something I'll want to try down the line when I get more experience as a fish keeper but definitely not a starting out goal! But right now looking for a source to help me under stand the various color morphs. I've seen individuals going for $60 and up depending on the morph rarity and I'd like to know what I'm getting for that kind of money!

Like, is a snowflake or a picasso more rare and how do I tell them apart?

Okay, just doing a little deductive work, I've come to the conclusion that:

Onyx: have had the black take over much of the body of the fish ( though, I'm not not sure the extent to which the black has to be present to be considered an onyx). It's doesn't take over ALL of the orange, though.

Mis Bar: the bar of white in the middle has a break in it to varying degrees of extremity.

Picasso: White middle bar pushed out in either direction to form a "puzzle piece". A "Grade A" rated fish will have the the middle and hind bar connect, forming an "H" pattern

Platinum: a nearly all white variation, only displaying orange on face, fins and tail.

Snow flake and Black ice: actually Ocellaris morphs, not Percula?

That's all I've got. Anyone have corrections or additions?

Back