Clown Hosting Acan

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Well, my retarded occelaris clown finally decided to start hosting something............ My Aussie Acan!!! :frustrat:

So, how do you stop him from hosting a $300 coral that will eventually die from being closed up all the time? :frustrat:

I'm not about to get rid of the Acan. I really don't give a crap about the fish to be honest with y'all. I only have fish in my tank to keep the kids happy and keep house guests from asking, "Where's the fish?"

If I can't stop Nemo from hosting this acan, he's gonna take a one-way trip to the LFS for store credit. Any ideas?

It's only a 30g tank. Would moving the coral 12" away have an effect?

I would be willing to try it, but it's not gonna be easy. I have a lot of coral in my tank and a lot of rock. The problem is the corals are growing over multiple rocks and lifting one rock means lifting 3. They are all getting connected by corals growing out and over all the rocks.

I'll move the rock tomorrow and see if it helps. Not much room to move it though. If Nemo follows this rock across the tank and continues to host the acan, he's probably going to be taking a trip to the LFS.

But anemones pose their own risks to corals, and everything else in the tank. Plus, there's no guarantee that the clown would host the anemone either, the clown may just ignore it.

If your clown is killing your corals, he may kill an anemone too if he's big enough. Their "buffeting" of the tentacles can be very harmful over a long period of time. Plus the nem could crawl around your tank one day while you're asleep and sting your corals to death.

The clown is just a baby. He's about 1.5" long.

I'm not getting a nem. Not after reading the horror stories from other reefers. Not a chance. I believe Yote just recently had a bunch of SPS wiped out by an anemone.

I sat on my couch and watched him for 3 days last weekend . Every time he got near the acan, I swiped at him with a net. It seams to have worked. He's stayed away from the acan for all of today and is swimming about. Maybe he is "trainable" ? I am willing to swipe at him for a couple more weeks if it will train him to leave my acan alone. If he goes back to hosting in it or messing with it by the end of January, he's as good as gone.

So far, so good.

My clown was hosting my candy cane and almost killed it. I moved the coral and the clown hasn't touched it. This is in my 55 gallon.

Wow, I guess I am lucky. I have two clowns that host a mag scraper. I even have a BTA in the tank for over a month. I think they are afraid of it.
I don't think the mag minds the company!!!

I hope you get your clown straightened out, for his sake

Every time he got near the acan, I swiped at him with a net. [/quote]

I tried that with my maroon pertering my RBTA to pieces. IT did not work for me, I'd see him in the nem again as few minutes after swatting him with the net. Also tried getting my yellow clown goby to quit "hosting" my SPS that way, which also did not work. Maybe different clowns can be trained though? This reminds me of that underwater circus set you could buy for your tanks lol

Back