Clown jumped from tank

lightcs4

Loving to learn
My false perc jump from the tank last night (Yes, Biff isn't the only one to have suicidal fish) He was farm raised so at least it wasn't a wild clown. One of my kids mentioned getting another but I think we will leave well enough alone. I had taken the egg crate top off the tank. Anyone have any thoughts on getting another or should I just look toward getting some coral for the tank?

Thanks, I may just do that. I haven't found anything that states they normally jump from the tank. Do you think another one would be a problem if I leave the egg crate off the tank? I like the way it looks without it, as well as the ease of maintaining the tank.

every fish has the potential to jump, it just depends on the individual fish, i have never had a problem with any of my fish even showing signs that they were about to jump

Any clues why the clown jump?

They aren't known to be jumpers.I would get another(or a different type),I think it's very rare it'll happen again.<<<don't quote me on that>>>

Any clues why the clown jump?

They aren't known to be jumpers.I would get another(or a different type),I think it's very rare it'll happen again.<<<don't quote me on that>>>
this is reeffreaks opinion and only his opinion, therefore he cannot be held liable for a jumping clownfish in the event you get another clownfish and it jumps from your tank.

that should clear things up for you dominick

I would go for another....of the same type. Who knows, they may become a nice pair. I lost one of my clowns and picked up another one 2 weeks later. The old clown really took to the new addition and now they are inseparable.

Also, in place of the eggcrate, you may want to try something like this :

You can make it by bending steel rods in the shape of your tank opening.
Pull plastic mesh across the frame and zip tie it in place. It's almost as good as not being there and you won't have the big white or black eggcrate sticking out. Make sure you coat/paint the rods with rust inhibiting paint.

Last edited:
messiah, you cant post pics from reef central on this forum since they have all their pictures locked down on their servers, they probably own the copyrights to them

this is reeffreaks opinion and only his opinion, therefore he cannot be held liable for a jumping clownfish in the event you get another clownfish and it jumps from your tank.

that should clear things up for you dominick

Thanks Dustin for clearing that up for me!I don't think he would of understood it was only my opinion.:grumble:

On a side note,I mention getting a different clown.Only get a different clown if you don't have one now.Mixing clowns often leads to fighting then death for one of them.

Due to me posting an image I can't post, here is the link Lightcs4.

Also, in place of the eggcrate, you may want to try something like this.
This was featured in RC's Tank-of-the-month April 2008 (I thought it was a good idea).

You can make it by bending steel rods in the shape of your tank opening.
Pull plastic mesh across the frame and zip tie it in place. It's almost as good as not being there and you won't have the big white or black eggcrate sticking out. Make sure you coat/paint the rods with rust inhibiting paint.

Even better than the steel(which will rust) You could make a frame out of acrylic and sandwich the netting(UV resistant for fruit) between two layers of it. put a couple of braces in it depending on the tank. Then not rust and not shadows.

I think I would still just leave the tank open on top. I really like it that way. I will wait until they have tank raised clowns on sale at the LFS before I purchase another one.

Thanks.

Back