clown swimming funny?

raggedreef

Reefing newb
I just added a clown to my tank a few days ago and he seems like he is swimming really weird. When he swims his head is constantly bobbing up and down. I bought him cause he looked so healthy swimming in the tank at the store and now he doesn't seem as active and it is almost like it is hard for him to swim. Any ideas on this?

even in the calmer spots he seems to swim goofy, anything to be worried about, he is eating pretty decent and his colors and still really good.

Clowns are odd as it is, but if there is anyway you could post a video that would help us to be able to see if it is normal or not.

My clowns swim much "weirder" than any other fish I've owned. I'm new to saltwater, but they definitely "weave" and "bob" their way around the tank. Throw some cyclopeeze in there and watch it go nuts. A video would definitely help, I never get tired of watching mine swim around... it's just different enough than any other fish I have.

hope the video upload worked. this video isn't the best for his behavior but it can give you an idea. He wasn't very active right now. I think I am just being paranoid about my new fish.

hello all we have three perfectly healthy false pecula clowns for quite sometime.and they always swim like the are bobble head dolls.thought that was why they are called clown fish.LOL

Normal behavior for clowns. He should eventually settle in, especially if there is a coral for him to host.
Mine was doing the same thing in my office 6g nano and everyone swore up and down that there was something wrong with him. I just laughed. Silly co-workers. :razz:

There's nothing wrong with him except that he's a clown...If what you're describing is like him staying in 1 spot and he's going up and down rollercoaster hills....that's perfectly normal behavior for clowns.

I have also now noticed three white spots that seem to be under the skin. They are very faint and hard to see but are something else there to bother me. I really hope nothing is wrong with him, he seems really healthy, swims alot and eats really good. Any ideas?

no it doesn't really look like ich. They look as if they are under the skin like something is protruding from inside. It is weird looking. I don't know if it is something to be worried about. I will prolly have to just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

It is more every time he moves his fins his head also moves up and down like he is working way harder to swim than he needs to. He looks very clumsy.

Back