clownfish acting strange

jamestown478

Reefing newb
I have been noticing lately that one of my clowns, the female has been acting strangely. I have been noticing her laying on the bottom either upright or on her side and sometimes she won't move or swim away unless I stick my net in there to motivate her. The water paramaters are all normal. I did have an outbreak of some green moss looking algae on my live rock recently. Should I be worried about the fish?

I'm sorry to hear your clown isn't behaving normally. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to answer you question but I just wanted to let you know I'm pulling for her. I love clowns, they were my first fish, so hopefully she's trying to lay eggs or something else exciting.

not strange at all, pretty normal behavior for clowns. Mine have done all kinds of weird things including taking naps on their sides.

I wouldnt worry about it unless you notice she is not eating, breathing fast or cant keep her balance.

Yep, my clowns sit on their side right in the top of the water near the overflow. They still eat, and are breathing fine, and eventually they start to wander around the tank, but they spend most of thier time in this odd position

I think your clown is just acting like a clown

+2 game. I have seen clownfish in my friend's aquarium do that over the past year. As long as water parameters are good you are fine. :D

I don't see it being a problem for fish... generally with the other animals (birds, for example) that get egg bound, it usually a calcium-related thing. I wouldn't think fish would have the same problem since they don't lay hard-shelled eggs.

I wouldn't add any more fish in your 8g...what are your parameters? Maybe your tank doesn't have enough water movement? The pic you have in your build thread doesn't show any powerheads. Maybe it's lack of oxygen? Could be stray voltage, too.

Back