Clownfish Aggression

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
I currently have 2 clownfish in my 125 as a mated pair...which really means that the female merely tolerates the male's presence. :D Anyhow...I also have, or should I say, HAD, several juvenile green chromis. I've noticed that the female has been bullying the chromis by chasing them around the tank and nipping at fins. I've been pulling out injured chromis from the tank which later die in the QT.

The chromis were added to the tank BEFORE the clowns were introduced, so I'm trying to understand the aggression, although I know clowns are a variety of damsels and are, by nature, aggressive.

I've been theorizing that the female clown has claimed the entire tank as her territory and is merely protecting it. If that is the case, would this territoriality improve if I put an anemone in the tank for the clown to host? I do not have one in my tank at this time, mostly because my tank was not mature enough and I've been leery of the total tank wipeout that can occur with a dead or dying anemone.

My other option is to remove the clown, which I'd rather not do. I could also do the midnight rock work shuffle, but, aside from the enormous work effort involved, I believe that would only be a temporary fix. Any thoughts anyone??

You could try catching the clown and exchangeing them for a diffrent mated pair (god knows Ive had to do that) cause they are mean. otherwise your probably gonna continue pulling out injured or dead fish . sorry

I have an anemone with a pair of Maroon Clowns. They stay within 6" of it most of the time. I also have Chromis and they don't bother them at all. When all your Chromis are gone I would recommend getting 10-15 very small Chromis and there schooling in your tank will discourage the Clowns from attacking them. It worked for me.

Any type of Bubble anemonie, Just make sure its a bubble. Some lfs try to sell ones that arent hosts or that clowns wont take to. The more vibrant ones are the rose bubble or the green bubble. But they do get rather expensive

It also depends on the age and matureness of your tank, what type of lights you have to the flow. so be careful cause as you have said if it dies it could possibly wipe out your tank

I have a 125 with 3 175w MH bulbs and 2 160 VHO 72" lights and I have great current with 2 strong return lines and 2 Koralia 3s. However, I am in the process of replacing all the bulbs, and need to pick up a new ballast for my VHOs

Before you try an anemone, I'd recommend trying some hairy or frilly mushrooms. They are infinitely easier to keep than anemones and clowns seem to LOVE them!!

Here are my guys in their shrooms (the first pic, protecting their eggs):

12-15-09006.jpg

120509117.jpg

I have had much better luck with Ritteri Anemones. Clowns seem to LOVE them.

Ritteri Anemone 6-9 in. (Heteractis magnifica) NG - Reef Hot Spot

Beautiful anemone. Maybe I should try one. Right now my clowns host a coral...and I hate it because when they go inside, I can't see them.

I do have a rose bubble tipped anemone. It doesn't look happy. It's been curled up on itself for like a week now. Should I be watching if it dies? Can it be toxic? What am I looking for? I've also tried to feed it dried krill shrimp---but it won't eat it. My frog tipped anemones do...but not the bubble tipped. Maybe it's starving?!

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Biff. I have a very nice colony of pipe organ corals, but they are not even remotely interested in them.

Clowns normally wont touch pipe organs.If the did,the polyps would just retract into their tubes.Plus the tubes would cut the clowns.
Try the hairy mushrooms first.Plus theres no guarantee the clowns will take to an anemone.

Beautiful anemone. Maybe I should try one. Right now my clowns host a coral...and I hate it because when they go inside, I can't see them.

I do have a rose bubble tipped anemone. It doesn't look happy. It's been curled up on itself for like a week now. Should I be watching if it dies? Can it be toxic? What am I looking for? I've also tried to feed it dried krill shrimp---but it won't eat it. My frog tipped anemones do...but not the bubble tipped. Maybe it's starving?!

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Its not that anemones are toxic when they die.They release their nematocysts into the water,which sting everything in the tank.Plus they start breaking down extremely quick,causing ammonia to rise.
As for feeding,I've never seen a BTA accept anything freeze dryed.They perfer fresh or frozen.
If the anemones mouth is gapping open,lose of color,and generally looking like their falling apart,that means its dying.

Back