clownfish breeding help

joshuashih1

Seahorse Owner
I bought a small 1 inch clownfish and want to get another can I buy another 1 inch clownfish and will they be a mated pare and can breed them I want to make sure because I want a mated pare

You can buy another and maybe they will pair up....or maybe 1 will kill the other. Your best chances are to get another one that is either larger or small than the 1 you have now. It's hit or miss ar far as them pairing up and eventually laying eggs.

It is very difficult to raise clownfish fry. They need to be raised in their own separate tank, and you need to culture several different types of live food for them. I tried -- and I failed. :( It takes a substantial time and money investment just to raise the young. You will have to culture several containers of phytoplankton, rotifers and brine shrimp all that the same time and keep them all alive -- this takes up a TON of space!

Also, it took my pair of clowns 4 years of being together before they started mating and laying eggs. Even if you get two clowns, they may never pair up and mate, or it could take a very long time.

Most people don't bother because of how difficult and expensive it can be. Even if your clowns do lay eggs, if you do not remove the larvae right away, they will be eaten by everything else in the tank -- sometimes even the parent clowns. :lol: And they only hatch at night. So you have to keep track of the development of the eggs, and when you think they are close to hatching, you have to stay up all night watching them with a flashlight, ready to scoop them out when they hatch. And if it doesn't happen that night, do it again the next night. Trust me -- it sucked!

If you are interested in pursuing this, there are lots of websites that go into detail about how to breed clowns. You will need a special set up and equipment for the babies to live in.

Back