Clownfish help

matt19849

Reefing newb
Hi,

I've recently had a couple of clown fish added to my tank. I've been looking up the different behaviours of the fish to try and figure out when mine are doing.
Basically there constantly following each other around the tank, they sleep with each other and one of them keeps sketching out doing little flips etc. By what I could find browsing different sites they could be getting ready to mate, does that sound right?
If this is right what shall I do, I would love to try and breed them but I don't have another tank or anything for them to grow up in etc. What exactly would I need?

Thanks in advance, Matt

I think by shaking it's showing submission to the other clown. Basicly the one shaking will most likely stay male and the other will turn into a female. How big are they? I think clown don't start to mate till they're a few years old.

I think there about an inch or just over at the moment, not sure how old they are though
That's kind of good news that they normally start to mate after a few years.
Cheers for the quick reply

If they're an inch I doubt there close to mating, but with them fallowing each other and one shaking to the other it sounds like they're are bonding ( becoming boyfriend and girlfriend) The one that changes into a female will grow bigger than the other in time and the male will grow some but stay a about a inch smaller.

I have two Percula Clownfish, but i;m glad their too young to be mating - although woulda been cool to breed em if I had the right set up etc

Hehehe....if I had a dollar for everytime I thought my 2 clowns were getting ready to mate, I'd have....$100 ;)

+1 everyone

Ok, just a quick question on top of this, it used to be one of the clowns throwing a fit and the other just kinda watching it but lately they've both been having mini sword fights with their tails - it looks like there electrocuting each other lol is this still them trying to become more dominant?

Correct, they may just be battling, again, for dominance.

I've been wondering how clownfish are without a mated pair. Are they still AS aggresive?

There not overly aggressive, they seem to just have these little fights every now and then, most the time they just follow and sleep with each other. Its weird, they act as though they have paired up by sleeping with each other and sticking with each other but then they bash each other up now and then lol
Is very amusing to watch though :D

Back