clownfish make me go DOH!

Aiptasia_Farm_DotCom

I'm not lysdexic!
I have two Ocellaris Clownfish and a perfectly good bubble tip anemone. we had the anemone, then got the clowns, and after my dad brought home a gonapora(sp) and prior to the anemone we had a frilly purple mushroom frag. so about a week into the gonapora's stay, the clowns start to host with it instead of the anemone. they eventually did this until the gonapora end up dying because the clowns kept bugging it. after that they started hosting my Frilly mushroom frag....dumb clowns.

i know right...geesh..but isnt it odd that they have formed a symbiotic relationship with my coral instead of the anemone??? the coral fine and doesnt seem to be affected like the gonapora was.

Frilly mushrooms are tough and are a good substitute for hosting clowns, since clowns will usually kill almost every other coral they try to live in. Some clowns never take a liking to anemones. It's the luck of the draw.

Hehehe...this is a helpful thread. I wonder if it would work to get *just* an anemone, stick then clown in the tank w/ it, and not get anything else until he hosts that sucker LOL

My pink skunk clown will not host the bubble tip that I have. It just beats the hell out of my flower pot coral. Can the flower pot coral withstand the constant beatings? I would really hate to loose it.

My pink skunk clown will not host the bubble tip that I have. It just beats the hell out of my flower pot coral. Can the flower pot coral withstand the constant beatings? I would really hate to loose it.

Probably not.Flower pots just arent that tough.

Thank you Yote and Bifferwine. Not sure what I am going to do yet. Would I need to get stronger lights to put the flower pot into the jbj 3 gallon picotope tank? And if so, any recommendations?

Sine those little tanks are so shallow,That light might do it.Worth a shot at least.It'd get it away from the clown.

Back