Clownfish questions :)

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok...I've acclimated the 2 clownfish, and have put them into the tank with my hands so I don't get too much of their water in the tank. How long before I know if the move stressed them? A day? A week? What are the signs?

Also, how do I know if the water flow in the water is too strong for them? I've got a small maxijet rotating powerhead around mid-level, and at the top, I've just got a pengium power head pointed up to make ripples.

That is not too much flow, so don't worry. Two or three powerheads in a that size is fine.

Your fish may hide and not come out to eat for the next several days, so don't worry if this happens. Within a week they should have adjusted. Clownfish are not usually timid though, so they may very well be out and about within a day.

Keep an eye out if they are staying at the surface of the water gasping. It's rare for this to happen, but that's a sign that something is wrong.

youll know you have too much flow if the fish swim into the stream and get blown around the tank. and must fish will hide for a period of time to get adjusted to there new home so if you see that dont worry too much as it is normal

Yes, I have nets :) Lots of them. But I only usually use them as a last resort on fish. I use them mostly to fish large floating particles that may have entered the tank. At least when I used my hands, they weren't engulfed with netting; I cupped my fingers around them, scooped them up so they were just resting on my fingers, and stuck my hand in the tank...then I let them just swim off my fingers when they were ready to leave (one of them sat on my fingers for a good 5-10 seconds before swimming off!

Sitting in the bucket while acclimatizing:
smpair1.jpg

Getting the travel water to match the tank temp:

smpair2.jpg

Finally in the tank (They're quick li'l buggers!!):
smpair3.jpg

And of course, being a new "momma", I had to take videos :)

http://www.nilad.com/wonton/tank/sw/clownpair.html

Back